Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.

Again, this is overall and based on all the factors - just because a particular leader in history led great military campaigns does not mean their domestic leadership was any good.

Who takes the top spot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.
    Franco

ReputationRep:
    Elizabeth I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Elizabeth I
    I agree, though the defeat of the Spanish Armada was mostly based on luck rather than pure military prowess.

ReputationRep:
    Frederick II of Prussia.

ReputationRep:
    Joffrey Baratheon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Allah (swt)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Frederick II of Prussia.
    lol, you are the only person I know who could casually give such an answer just off the top of your head.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Gordon Brown
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    Genghis Khan*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahrheit)
    Genghis Khan*
    Beat me to it :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Alexander the Great

ReputationRep:
    Queen Victoria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    lol, you are the only person I know who could casually give such an answer just off the top of your head.
    Well, he turned a disparaged set of small feudal possessions into a great power. He was a philosopher and transformed his administration and laws into a coherent system, forty years before Napoleon. He won two major wars, including the Seven Years War. His situation was however desperate as he fought France, Austria, and Russia, the three main land superpowers of the time, but still managed to win by personally commanding his armies.
    I don't see someone more qualified for this title.

ReputationRep:
    Ronald Reagan :love:

ReputationRep:
    JFK

ReputationRep:
    Jean-Claude Junker.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?

David Cameron. Oh wait...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What are you?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.