Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I'd like to go into either the diplomatic service or law in the future. My strong subjects at school are maths, physics, Japanese and geography, and I am predicted A* (or 8/9 in maths and English) for all my GCSEs. Japanese a level has been cancelled at my school, and no other state schools in the county offer it A level. At the moment we are talking to the school about whether we can run a JLPT (internationally recognised Japanese qualification) club instead to show language ability and ambition. I'd like to do either law or Japanese at university level - would maths, physics and geography be suitable?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravenclaw_)
    At the moment, I'd like to go into either the diplomatic service or law in the future. My strong subjects at school are maths, physics, Japanese and geography, and I am predicted A* (or 8/9 in maths and English) for all my GCSEs. Japanese a level has been cancelled at my school, and no other state schools in the county offer it A level. At the moment we are talking to the school about whether we can run a JLPT (internationally recognised Japanese qualification) club instead to show language ability and ambition. I'd like to do either law or Japanese at university level - would maths, physics and geography be suitable?
    Ay yo, I'm sorry Japanese A Level has been cancelled you could try self-teaching it? That's what I'm doing.

If not, then working on the JLPT and passing say at least N4 (which is just a bit above GCSE level) should show a lot of interest, and keep you in the game for Japanese. For law, your subject combinations are fine - you've got a traditional essay subject in there and nothing else really matters! You might want to consider taking another language at A Level, though, since it would likely strengthen a Japanese application to show a general interest in languages? But it's in no way necessary if you're doing the JLPT.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say doing humanity subjects, like English lit, history, politics or a language would be more suitable than Maths and Physics for a degree in Japanese or law, as they can help with essay writing, and languages are super helpful to have on your CV. Also, if you do choose to do Japanese, already having a language will help make learning Japanese easier.

I've just finished a degree in Chinese with Japanese and did French, German, Politics and Geography to A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I'd say doing humanity subjects, like English lit, history, politics or a language would be more suitable than Maths and Physics for a degree in Japanese or law, as they can help with essay writing, and languages are super helpful to have on your CV. Also, if you do choose to do Japanese, already having a language will help make learning Japanese easier.

I've just finished a degree in Chinese with Japanese and did French, German, Politics and Geography to A Level
    (whispers congrats on your degree ahhh!!!)

It turns out that as long as you have one essay subject and the rest are vaguely traditional, nobody actually cares what you study for law I keep talking to lawyers who are like "oh yeah I did 2 sciences and maths at A Level plus history" and I die a little inside each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    (whispers congrats on your degree ahhh!!!)

It turns out that as long as you have one essay subject and the rest are vaguely traditional, nobody actually cares what you study for law I keep talking to lawyers who are like "oh yeah I did 2 sciences and maths at A Level plus history" and I die a little inside each time.
    Yeah, it is possible-a lad on my course did all sciences! It's just most people I know who do/did law at uni did traditional essay subjects to A Level, as they tend to help with the study mindset for law.

Surprisingly enough, I heard a lot of unis don't like law applicants taking law A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    Ay yo, I'm sorry Japanese A Level has been cancelled you could try self-teaching it? That's what I'm doing.

If not, then working on the JLPT and passing say at least N4 (which is just a bit above GCSE level) should show a lot of interest, and keep you in the game for Japanese. For law, your subject combinations are fine - you've got a traditional essay subject in there and nothing else really matters! You might want to consider taking another language at A Level, though, since it would likely strengthen a Japanese application to show a general interest in languages? But it's in no way necessary if you're doing the JLPT.
    Hi thanks for your reply
    Me and my friends talked to the school a lot before they made their final decision to not offer it A Level. We're proposing a JLPT club, so hopefully that will go through. Japanese is the only language I take GCSE which is a slight problem, so when it comes to uni applications Im going to explain the situation and why I have no language a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Yeah, it is possible-a lad on my course did all sciences! It's just most people I know who do/did law at uni did traditional essay subjects to A Level, as they tend to help with the study mindset for law.

Surprisingly enough, I heard a lot of unis don't like law applicants taking law A Level
    That is true! I myself am doing all traditional essays/languages, and that's what the head of UCAS at my school agreed I should do (that might also be because I'm terrible at science lol).

Hi thanks for your reply
    Me and my friends talked to the school a lot before they made their final decision to not offer it A Level. We're proposing a JLPT club, so hopefully that will go through. Japanese is the only language I take GCSE which is a slight problem, so when it comes to uni applications Im going to explain the situation and why I have no language a level.
    It's no problem! I really do hope your JLPT club goes through - you could try and tackle, say, 2 grammar points every meeting and practice using them, and have vocab tests and stuff? That might be too scary and strict for a club, though >-< but still, 我慢すると絶対できる
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.