Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im a postgraduate student and gonna live with 7 students in one flat. (Sanctuary students grafton st)
    its ensuite room.
    what is pros and cons about it?
    is it good or bad..?
    PLEASE give me some advice.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ddereu)
    i knew that i will live with 7 students in one flat.
    is it good or bad..?
    Fridge and kitchen space/sharing bathrooms can be an issue with lots of flatmates. I suppose having plenty of company would be an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its either good or bad.

Fridge / cookings space can be an issue depending on which university you go to, however the few that I've seen have been pretty good. It could mean that the place gets messy quicker, but you also have a higher chance of getting clean freaks in.

The biggest benefit is that having more people around will give you more company, and access to a bigger social circle. A larger flat would be my personal preference.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ddereu)
    im gonna live with 7 students in one flat.
    is it good or bad..?
    This situation varies due to the type of people you are sharing with and the size/space your sharing.

During first year I shared a very large flat with 6 people (including myself), and it got very very messy, but that is only because the people I was sharing with were messy individuals.

From a neutral standpoint sharing with 7 students in one flat will mean that you may be short on space in the fridges and freezers, and you may also have issues if everyone likes to eat at the same time because sharing one oven for 7 meals isnt going to work. other issues you may encounter will be noise, you have to respect that with so many people it isnt going to be quiet all the time.

I really cant tell you what its going to be like. I personally prefer living with smaller numbers of people because it is much easier to deal with, but some people prefer large numbers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    7 flatmates is pretty standard in first year and I've had the same or more through second and third year.

I'd say overall it's a lot better than being in a smaller group.

Pros are you have a large, immediate group of friends, housing tends to be nicer and a lot roomier than the standard 4 or 5 bed places and costs less, if one person is messy it's not as noticeable, they're great for hosting house parties.

Cons: you're more likely to end up having a messy person in your group, and that's pretty much it.

I've never really had the space or timing problems that other people have brought up unless we've had other people around, you quite quickly figure out your own schedule and who gets which cupboard, etc. so that there aren't any clashes.

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys.
    im a postgraduate student btw...

REALLY worried about living with 7 mates...kk
    hope to meet good friends.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.