Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    TL;DR: Can EU medical students graduating in UK find jobs in the NHS after graduating?

I'm a foreign student likely entering a UK medical school in 2016. I do own an EU passport but since I never lived in the UK before I will be paying int. fees.

I chose to apply to the UK unis despite the relatively expensive fees because I am told that possible reforms in immigration regulation against overseas students won't affect me (as I hold the EU passport). Also I've heard that some international students from UK med school couldn't work as doctors in UK but as long as I hold an EU passport I shouldn't face such problems.

But thanks to BREXITI am now very worried about my future. I've declined offers from local medical schools that is offering scholarship and is much much cheaper to study compared to UK because I'd like to go abroad for a GMC-recognised school and I know there should be a job at the end over there. However now that Brexit occurred I'm not sure if I'll still be able to find a job there. If I'm coming back to my home country to practice anyways (might be difficult) I should've accepted the offers from local unis to save my parents hundreds of thousands of pounds.

So does anyone have any idea what'll happen to EU students / int. students with EU passports after graduating? Can they still get foundation posts? Can they still work their way up as junior doctors/consultants?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fc107)
    I'm a foreign student likely entering a UK medical school in 2016. I do own an EU passport but since I never lived in the UK before I will be paying int. fees.
    But you lived in the EU? Then you would pay home fees.

So does anyone have any idea what'll happen to EU students / int. students with EU passports after graduating? Can they still get foundation posts? Can they still work their way up as junior doctors/consultants?
    The answer to that had top be no - no one knows what will happen for sure.

But it's unlikely the UK is going to ask someone so highly qualified to leave. Most non - EU graduates do end up working in the UK at the moment - no reason to think it will be different now. And if the UK stays in the common market, which it probably will, then you're definitely sorted anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to assume you will not be able to work in the UK after graduation.

It is not known at this time if the UK and the EU can negotiate an agreement that allows each others citizens to travel and work within each others' countries so it would be a big gamble to assume you can work in the UK after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    But you lived in the EU? Then you would pay home fees.

The answer to that had top be no - no one knows what will happen for sure.

But it's unlikely the UK is going to ask someone so highly qualified to leave. Most non - EU graduates do end up working in the UK at the moment - no reason to think it will be different now. And if the UK stays in the common market, which it probably will, then you're definitely sorted anyway.
    Never lived in the EU before, so I'll be paying the international fees.

Thanks for the reply hopefully what you've said will come true and UK will stay in the common market then. But after all these I'm scared of believing that the logical will come true.

(Original post by Maker)
    I think you have to assume you will not be able to work in the UK after graduation.

It is not known at this time if the UK and the EU can negotiate an agreement that allows each others citizens to travel and work within each others' countries so it would be a big gamble to assume you can work in the UK after graduation.
    I agree and I've been looking at going abroad, I'll definitely keep my eyes on various IMG policies, thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.