Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm currently doing a biology passed paper - one of the questions asks how an enzyme might catalyse lysis.

I'm struggling to figure this one out - would it be something to do with the catalysis of a reaction in which bonds were broken in the phospholipid bi-layer? Some kind of digestion?

I'm stumped :/

Really appreciate any guidance!

Sam.

ReputationRep:
    Enzymes break the substrate into 2 parts because of the R groups and the difference in their polarity. Basically its a breakdown of one product into 2+ products

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ribbon

I'm not struggling too much with the whole process of catabolism/anabolism. I'm really struggling to relate that specifically to the enzyme catalysed lysis of a cell membrane.

ReputationRep:
    Going along your line of thought, could it be that the enzyme breaks the phospholipid substrate into multiple products? That would compromise the membrane. That theory sounds valid but I have no idea whether it actually happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamGrinds)
    Going along your line of thought, could it be that the enzyme breaks the phospholipid substrate into multiple products? That would compromise the membrane. That theory sounds valid but I have no idea whether it actually happens!
    Dont know. I only told you what I learnt in school

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.