Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have studied biomedical science at MMU and had achieved a first! The course is IBMS accredited however I need HCPC registration to become a biomed scientist (BMS) which requires a BMS trainee position. These positions are very rare to find and over the last 4 months, not one has come up in the north west (Manchester and surrounding areas). I have been offered a job as a medical lab assistant but it only needs A-levels and so is beneath my abilities and does not necessarily act as a ladder into the career. Has anyone been in the same position or have any advice on alternative routes or even career paths? Thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You just have to keep looking but remember that any relevant experience is better than sitting at home doing nothing and not earning. Jobs in the field are hard to come by so if you really want one you have to keep at it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KKSx)
    Hi, I have studied biomedical science at MMU and had achieved a first! The course is IBMS accredited however I need HCPC registration to become a biomed scientist (BMS) which requires a BMS trainee position. These positions are very rare to find and over the last 4 months, not one has come up in the north west (Manchester and surrounding areas). I have been offered a job as a medical lab assistant but it only needs A-levels and so is beneath my abilities and does not necessarily act as a ladder into the career. Has anyone been in the same position or have any advice on alternative routes or even career paths? Thanks in advance
    Depends what you want to do..

The majority of grad schemes and jobs out there don't require a specific degree to apply - degree class, work experience, extracurriculars and general transferrable skills are the most important criteria.

If you want to still apply your degree, maybe check out patent attorney firms? Or grad entry med? Or the PhD route?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm telling you this as someone curre tly in a NHS lab. MLA is not beneath you. It is what people in your shoes are forced to do in order to do theirportfolio whilst working. You are not qualified to be even an AP nevermind a MLA. You are qualified to be a MLA maximum since you didn't do a course that involved HCPC registration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.