Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, so I've started youtube and I'm wanting to post originals. What is your advice with this? I know you should get a rep first with covers, but if I post covers, it'll be old stuff that won't be found... likely not to be anyway. I really need to start singing recent stuff and uploading. So I want to post originals but my main issue is copyright. I've heard when you automatically upload something it's copyrighted or something? But then I've heard you need to pay to have it copyrighted.

Please confirm and advise?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you do both originals and covers?

ReputationRep:
    Most songs are copyrighted and you can't do anything about that. However, most of the time it just means that you can't get paid for your YouTube videos. Sometimes though it can mean that your video is blocked in certain countries - this happened to me before. Just be careful with the songs and good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the best way to get far is to post regularly, maybe every week, and to make sure your videos are as high quality as possible! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Do covers... Make them clickbait
    Done! You get money from it....

But If you want to make honest work...

Then idek... Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaterialBoy)
    Hey there, so I've started youtube and I'm wanting to post originals. What is your advice with this? I know you should get a rep first with covers, but if I post covers, it'll be old stuff that won't be found... likely not to be anyway. I really need to start singing recent stuff and uploading. So I want to post originals but my main issue is copyright. I've heard when you automatically upload something it's copyrighted or something? But then I've heard you need to pay to have it copyrighted.

Please confirm and advise?

Cheers.
    Do your own, thats how famous people are born. Just do what you enjoy in the songs/music.

ReputationRep:
    But my worry is if I post originals then people will steal my work? But that's what I really want to do...
    (Original post by Cascadess)
    I'd say the best way to get far is to post regularly, maybe every week, and to make sure your videos are as high quality as possible! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I made myself clear I'm sorry, I meant if I post my own music on youtube will it be copyrighted? Or can people just steal it and get all the credit for it?
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Most songs are copyrighted and you can't do anything about that. However, most of the time it just means that you can't get paid for your YouTube videos. Sometimes though it can mean that your video is blocked in certain countries - this happened to me before. Just be careful with the songs and good luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I made myself clear I'm sorry, I meant if I post my own music on youtube will it be copyrighted? Or can people just steal it and get all the credit for it?
    Oh, I see my answer is more relevant to the music cover videos then
    I think if people wanted to steal it, they could, probably by downloading it then re-uploading it. Unless you sign a record label (pretty sure you can't buy a copyright thingy on YouTube). That shouldn't deter you from doing it though, go for it pal

ReputationRep:
    So you advise I just go for it and spread the word with my own music?
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Do your own, thats how famous people are born. Just do what you enjoy in the songs/music.

ReputationRep:
    So you advise I just go for it and spread the word with my own music?
    Yes, make it passonate and a meaning NOT sexual please, we got enough of them. Think of something in your life of a lesson or something and just go for it. Something that represents you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.