Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I live in England and moved here with my family 5-6 years ago from Germany as an EU citizen. We dont have permanent residency here, but I have a german passport.
    I finished my A-levels this year and will be applying for university next year, and I have a younger sibling who's currently doing A-levels.
    My mother currently doesnt work and is on disability allowance and on benefits, and we live in a council house. Because of this I am afraid we might asked to return to Germany.
    Can someone please tell me what's likely going to happen to my family and I?
    my mother's currently applying for permanent residency, but how likely is it that they'll accept our request.
    And will universities now prefer British citizens over EU citizens.
    And finally, would it be possible for me to apply for permanent residency myself (im 19), and if yes what are the conditions and how likely is it that I will receive it?

    Many thanks!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    It depends on the outcome of the negotiations between the UK and EU.

    There are also many UK citizens in the EU who have various rights, and the EU are likely to treat them the same way the UK treats EU citizens here.

    If you are applying to university next year, there is unlikely to be any difference in the situation by the time you go to university.

    As far as I am aware, and I don't know much, if you have been living in the UK for over 5 years you are entitled to apply for a British passport, become a British citizen. Your mother as well. I just did a quick goggle search, and it looks like Germany is against the idea of duel nationalities, you should look it up, as accepting the British nationality might inadvertently invalidate your German one.

    "You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:

    you’re 18 or over

    you’re of good character, eg you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years

    you’ll continue to live in the UK

    you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements

    you meet the residency requirement

    And you must usually have:

    lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application

    spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years

    spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months

    been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (this means there’s no specific date that you have to leave) or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national (and you have a permanent residence card or document that shows you have permanent residence)had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national with a permanent residence card or document that shows you have permanent residence)not broken any immigration laws while in the UK"


    The world is going to end, or so I got told.

    You, your family and others like you will be rounded up put into trains and transported to holiday camps and upon arrival you will all be made to undress and go into a big communal shower it's just to ensure your clean and don't spread infection, you don't need to worry it's nothing sinister.

    In all honesty though i'm pretty sure those non British EU residents currently living in the UK will be guaranteed the option of staying if they want to (as long as they have been working or in education for the majority of the time anyway), they are not going to start kicking out people who are already here there would be an outcry.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.