Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering whether any of you could help me out. Tomorrow my girlfriend is going interrailing in Eastern Europe. To call her mobile do I just call the same number as I would usually or do I have to do anything else?

Also, I want to ring her while I am in France on holiday. How much will it cost me to ring her on my mobile OR would it be possible to ring her mobile from a payphone?

I am on orange pay-as-you-go and she is on O2 contract.

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend is going to need to set her mobile phone to "roaming" so she can get get reception on the networks in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend will also incur the charge, not you.

ReputationRep:
    So if I ring her from France on my mobile, it will cost me the same amount as it would usually?

ReputationRep:
    Also, how much will it cost to send a text?

ReputationRep:
    It costs a fortune believe me, its not worth it, the cheapest option is to buy a special phone card from the post office you can use an most countries abroad. This will work out far cheaper than using your mobile.

ReputationRep:
    it will cost you more to ring her, however it will cost her some money a minute to recieve a call from overseas, how about texting, i suppose texts are expensive at 40p overseas on orange pay as you go. Your girlfriend will need to set her phone to roaming though.

ReputationRep:
    when you ring her mobile from the UK, you will pay the normal amount that you wold pay as your call goes to the O2 HQ in the UK, however, she will incur a charge, because O2 then has to connect your call to an overseas location.

If you ring her mobile from france, from your mobile then cost will be much higher as you have to make an international call via the overseas operator conecting to UK (from you moble) then the UK connects your network to the O2 network which connects back to an overseas operator, like going round the world and back again.

It is costly as i did it when i went to Switzerland and the credits plummeted pretty quickly. Im not sure what the other options are, so you couls check out what someone said here about getting one from the post office.

Oh yeah, and texts go through the same procedure.

On thing about Orange, though is that i think there is an Orange service in France, kos when i took my orange phone yo switzerland (the french part), i got the operator as being Orange SW/F or something like that, so if you have an Orange phone, maybe it won't cost you as much.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.