The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Princepieman
I mean you can paint all 2:1 degree holders the same but getting called deluded is too much? Uh huh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really are a funny person. You make me laugh. With regards to the 2.1 students, IT WAS A JOKE - calm the **** DOWN! A joke that typically doesn't got down too well on TSR
Reply 41
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Sounds like you're in a good position then :smile:

The point is not to assume that your first class degree is a magic ticket to any job. It forms only one bit of your applicatio
n.

Of course. I am in similar position to UWS except I am not intending on applying for any jobs at the moment. I might go back into academia
It ticks the box for employers and perhaps you're less likely to get weeded out during the recruitment process. But your work experience and skills is much much more important. A first will not guarantee you a job.

Saying that, I was at an assessment centre for one firm and they said they didn't bother inviting anybody with a 2:1, they only wanted students with a first. So in some cases it could be a huge advantage.
Reply 43
No more advantage than a 2.1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
What's the point of having a first class degree classification if it's worth as much as a 2:1?

Surely if it only looks pretty on paper then everyone should just aim for the 2:1 and just get pissed every night

Well that's pretty much what everyone does - cet par. a 2:1 with great people skills and tons of networking trumps a 1st on its own any day, which frankly just screams being a nerd out loud
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samklipas0
Of course. I am in similar position to UWS except I am not intending on applying for any jobs at the moment. I might go back into academia

In which case, a first is definitely an advantage, especially if you want funding
Reply 46
Original post by Lord Samosa
It ticks the box for employers and perhaps you're less likely to get weeded out during the recruitment process. But your work experience and skills is much much more important. A first will not guarantee you a job.

Saying that, I was at an assessment centre for one firm and they said they didn't bother inviting anybody with a 2:1, they only wanted students with a first. So in some cases it could be a huge advantage.

Yeah, I do have some work experience already. Otherwise I would have had to settle for any graduate job from any firm.

I have other things IN ADDITION TO my degree and I am planning on maybe getting more certifications
Reply 47
Original post by justag
No more advantage than a 2.1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sucks doesn't it? Look gone are the days when people who got a FIRST actually meant something!

Oh well, at least I have the relevant experience and skillset of what an employer is looking for. Worst comes to worse - I will start my own business
Reply 48
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
In which case, a first is definitely an advantage, especially if you want funding

A lot of my family are pushing me to do a masters and I am looking to do it abroad though. Maybe in the States or in Australia
2:1 with good ECs > 1st with none. I'd even say 2:1 = 1st unless you're doing a PHD.
Hi,

So I recently got my results and was awarded a First Class Degree.

I have not applied for any graduate schemes or jobs as I really want to go on holiday. A recruiter told me not to worry and to enjoy myself for a while - as companies are always willing to recruit a First Class student.

I am fairly new to the graduate game and so I want to know some of the advantages or benefits of having a First Class Degree

Thanks

The only advantage you have is that, other things being equal, if you have a first and your rival candidate doesn't, you are more likely to get the job. However, as you might be aware, your skill set is never the same as your rival candidate nor is the way you present yourself in an interview. So while a first might help you more than a 2.1 to get in an interview (for some kind of jobs), once you are in the interview room, you are on your own. Also, over time, the value of your degree (no matter how good or bad) decreases and the value of your employment experience increases. IMO.

Original post by shawn_o1
"Always willing to recruit"

Biggest porky pie you will ever hear. Unless it specifically states in the job requirements (most are happy with 2:1 or higher), you having a First Class degree means nothing. It's all down to how you conduct yourself in the interview, how well you impress them (the interviewers). I, a first class grad myself, have had 9 interviews and none of them progressed, you can definitely see I have nothing past my degree and scattered experience.

+1

I see, but what happens if you already have a years' experience and you have other extra certifications?

That's another matter altogether and it all depends on what your rival has to offer.

I see. So it is not amazing or no big deal to have a First Class Degree?

No. Just get a 2.1 and focus on getting experience.
Reply 51
Original post by physicsphysics91
2:1 with good ECs > 1st with none. I'd even say 2:1 = 1st unless you're doing a PHD.

Ah, but what IF you were a 1st class student with ECs?
There's a strong correlation between graduating with a first and reduced chances of unemployment + improved chances of being in a professional job/graduate study. (see https://www.hesa.ac.uk/dox/pubs_archive/destinations_09_10/tables/DLHE_0910_Table_5.xls - the most recent free data on this: 6% unemployed with a 1st, 9% with a 2i, 12% with a 2ii, 18% with a 3rd/pass. The pattern is repeated with more recent data and with professional employment rates)

But correlation <> causation...it's very likely that the qualities that result in a good degree classification are the same qualities that help graduates find and keep employment.

Very few employers or recruiters prefer people with a 1st. Even in further study a first might not make any difference to your chances of gaining an offer (but is more likely to be used for scholarship/funding awards).
Original post by physicsphysics91

I think it does depend on the area and what field you want to get into, like for example my degree was modern languages, which is quite a practical skill, and if companies are recruiting for your languages skills then a First might look a bit better than a 2.1, but for non-specific grad schemes then 2.i plus ECs is better than a 1st with none....
Reply 54
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
I think it does depend on the area and what field you want to get into, like for example my degree was modern languages, which is quite a practical skill, and if companies are recruiting for your languages skills then a First might look a bit better than a 2.1, but for non-specific grad schemes then 2.i plus ECs is better than a 1st with none....

What about for Computing with Networking? I remember when getting my first job - my boss told me that it was my first class distinction mark in my programming modules that landed me that short term contract.
What about for Computing with Networking? I remember when getting my first job - my boss told me that it was my first class distinction mark in my programming modules that landed me that short term contract.

And your boss word certainly know better than me, an arts graduate, but I think a similar logic would follow- the employer is looking for a specific skill and you've demonstrated by earning that grade that you are very competent at it. Though of course employers look for evidence of other skills too, such as knowledge gained through experience and ability to work well with others, etc, etc.
Really? REALLY? Funny you say that.

So what are employers looking for then? People with 2.1 degrees who go around getting wasted and having sex with 10 girls? Seems like a good person to hire right?

The point is why classify a degree when at the end it doesn't even matter?

In my opinion, if an employer does not hire a first class graduate then they are deluded and jealous!

Original post by UWS
What's the point of having a first class degree classification if it's worth as much as a 2:1?

Surely if it only looks pretty on paper then everyone should just aim for the 2:1 and just get pissed every night

People who have nothing but a 2:1 in their degree will have just as much struggle in getting employment as someone with a first and nothing else. Employers don't want people who just get pissed every night as that is just as undesirable as someone who never leaves the library. It shows nothing.

What you need to do is not spend every night getting pissed, but getting extra curricular experience on your CV, which you can do by having part time jobs (better if it's relevant to your career goal), holiday internships, society committees and study abroad.

You need to realise how important experience and contacts are and maximise your time outside of class getting as much of those as possible
Reply 57
Ah, but what IF you were a 1st class student with ECs?

Your opening gambit was effectively: I'm a First Class Degree student, I haven't bothered applying for any grad schemes and I want to go on holiday because my First Class Degree entitles me to a job of my choosing at a time of my choosing.

Which kind of opens you up to some incoming don't you think?

If you have a 1st + ECs + a willingness to work hard you'll be fine.

Otherwise, not so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Your opening gambit was effectively: I'm a First Class Degree student, I haven't bothered applying for any grad schemes and I want to go on holiday because my First Class Degree entitles me to a job of my choosing at a time of my choosing.

Which kind of opens you up to some incoming don't you think?

If you have a 1st + ECs + a willingness to work hard you'll be fine.

Otherwise, not so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much this^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest