The Student Room Group

Could you study medicine without higher maths?

Hello
So, at the moment I take Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Art and Design and English at higher level (I can't take maths at higher unless I go to college).
I've checked entry requirements for uni, however I am still unsure if I have a realistic chance of getting to study medicine without a higher in maths.
Would I have any chance of studying medicine with these subjects If I got the grades? :3
Yes. You'll be fine, loads of people don't do maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you definitely don't need maths as long as you're doing biology and chemistry. You will be fine. Make sure you check the requirements of the specific uni though.
Of course you can. In fact some unis don't like people who have done higher maths.
Thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by 07cdominic
Yes, you definitely don't need maths as long as you're doing biology and chemistry. You will be fine. Make sure you check the requirements of the specific uni though.

That's great to know. At school I tried to sign up for this thing called the reach programme at Glasgow Uni and I couldn't because the teacher at my school who was arranging it said I wasn't eligible because I wouldn't have higher maths. And in an attempt to reassure me he said "It's OK, loads of people aren't eligible" XD
Original post by Friendly Forever
Hello
So, at the moment I take Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Art and Design and English at higher level (I can't take maths at higher unless I go to college).
I've checked entry requirements for uni, however I am still unsure if I have a realistic chance of getting to study medicine without a higher in maths.
Would I have any chance of studying medicine with these subjects If I got the grades? :3

Hi Friendly Forever

I thought that I could offer some advice on your question.

The short answer is that no, you don't need to take maths at A-level to study medicine. It is helpful for Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course but then so is Physics which you are doing.

Chemistry is the essential one to study and Biology is highly recommended.

As long as you work hard to get the grades that you want you have every chance of studying medicine with the subjects you are taking.

You might find this blog post interesting to read as it is about this exact subject!

I hope that is of some help. Do give me shout if there are any more questions I can answer for you.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Friendly Forever

I thought that I could offer some advice on your question.

The short answer is that no, you don't need to take maths at A-level to study medicine. It is helpful for Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course but then so is Physics which you are doing.

Chemistry is the essential one to study and Biology is highly recommended.

As long as you work hard to get the grades that you want you have every chance of studying medicine with the subjects you are taking.

You might find this blog post interesting to read as it is about this exact subject!

I hope that is of some help. Do give me shout if there are any more questions I can answer for you.

UniAdmissions

Thank you so much! You've helped me a lot. I do have another question to do with medicine at oxford. Do you have to apply a year before the course starts?

If so, It says that you have to sit the BMAT, and that maths is required to at least a C at GCSE (National 5 over here). Since I won't be sitting National 5 until 6th year, and I have to apply at the end of 5th year, does that mean I wouldn't qualify for the course?
Thank you so much! You've helped me a lot. I do have another question to do with medicine at oxford. Do you have to apply a year before the course starts?

If so, It says that you have to sit the BMAT, and that maths is required to at least a C at GCSE (National 5 over here). Since I won't be sitting National 5 until 6th year, and I have to apply at the end of 5th year, does that mean I wouldn't qualify for the course?

You would apply in October 2016 for entry in September 2017. You would sit the BMAT in November 2016.

I suspect that completing National 5 maths would be a condition placed on your offer, but definitely drop them an e-mail to be sure.

Bear in mind that the BMAT is very maths-based. If you are not even at GCSE level maths yet then you may struggle.

You're welcome Friendly Forever, I'm glad to have helped.

Regarding applying for medicine at Oxford, yes, you would need to apply the year before entry. For example if you want to start in September 2017 you would need to apply via UCAS in October 2016.

You can have a look at the different requirements for entry from different countries at the Oxford website here.

If you are still not clear, it would probably be a good idea to contact them direct so you can clarify things. You can do that with this email address:

[email protected]

They will obviously be able to tell you exactly what is required and the timings of things.

If you would like any advice regarding the BMAT, just let me know as that is certainly something I can help you with!

UniAdmissions
Reply 10
As long as you are taking Biology and Chemistry you'll be fine for sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending