Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

To make the long story short, I am 37 and would like to study paramedic. (Actually i would like to be A&E doctor but it's a long way to go so..) Applied to my local college and been offered an access course. They advised me to follow science pathway for paramedic. However I am not sure if i can do all these science subjects as physic, maths, chemistry etc. Can I change to health studies after i started my course? If I follow health studies, it's mainly nursing, midwifery etc. Actually I am interested in emergencies, night shifts, hard work, would like to work in A&E and dealing with crisis etc. If i follow health studies, what could be my career options? (which one will be close to paramedic?)
    Thanks for the advises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twentyagain)
    Hi everyone,

To make the long story short, I am 37 and would like to study paramedic. (Actually i would like to be A&E doctor but it's a long way to go so..) Applied to my local college and been offered an access course. They advised me to follow science pathway for paramedic. However I am not sure if i can do all these science subjects as physic, maths, chemistry etc. Can I change to health studies after i started my course? If I follow health studies, it's mainly nursing, midwifery etc. Actually I am interested in emergencies, night shifts, hard work, would like to work in A&E and dealing with crisis etc. If i follow health studies, what could be my career options? (which one will be close to paramedic?)
    Thanks for the advises
    Hi there i am a registered Nurse Adult been qualified 3 years and i found the exact same thing thaty i was only really interested in A&E or maybe practice nursing where you see patients with health problems urgent or ongoing but was never interested in ward work or nursing homes. By the time i qualified i was lucky enough to be placed in A&E twice so it was ok and i went out with paramedics. i would probabky think any of those courses were suitable but my paramedic friends do tend to have more science subjects than health ones. As a paramedic i think your gearing towards more medical doctor type jobs so maybe go for science stuff more : ) but like i say i do know some who have gone from health courses to paramedic.

ReputationRep:
    Go science if you can. Do you not enjoy science subjects or are you worried about not being very good at it?

It may be something you have to bite the bullet with and see how you fair... If things aren't going well transfer to health.

I know people in other fields who have been daunted by science subjects but have done really well. My friend wanted to be a registered dietician but was terrified of studying chemistry to get on the degree course but now she is a fully fledged RD

ReputationRep:
    Also in a and e you get nurses, doctors, physiotherapists, operating department practitioners, (the whole surgery department), radiology/imaging etc that I imagine are covered under health studies.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone Sorry I was not around for a while.. I am doing access for adult nursing Life is so interesting Already got a conditional offer from LSBU I am still interested in A&E I need to finish my access, get functional skills english and a C from gcse math Thank you for the support

I hope i will post as a uni student next time

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.