Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my second year of a pharmacy degree and every day I find myself a little jealous of my friends doing medicine. I was overwhelmed at A level with the sudden career choice I had to make and had no idea what I wanted to do. At the back of my mind I know that medicine is what I really want to do yet I feel stuck and feel I made the worst decision of my life to do pharmacy.

I'm considering a few options. The first of which is finish my degree and apply for post grad medicine. However I am aware of how competitive this is and I'm scared I'll keep getting rejected just end up in community pharmacy. There's also the small issue of the debt I'll come out with.

I'm considering dropping out of my course now and applying my A100 medicine instead. I got 3 A's at A level and finished with first this year (if that even counts for anything). I realise I would need to secure work experience/voluntary work extremely quickly if I want to apply this year for medicine and I'd essentially be taking a gap year anyway. However I'd be more likely to have luck applying next year and essentially taking 2 years out.

Any advice would be appreciated

I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who's had luck dropping out of a course and getting a place in medicine, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh1995)
    At the back of my mind I know that medicine is what I really want to do yet I feel stuck and feel I made the worst decision of my life to do pharmacy.
    Stop wasting time and do medicine NOW! Otherwise you'll have to live with regrets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have just finished my second year of a pharmacy degree and every day I find myself a little jealous of my friends doing medicine. I was overwhelmed at A level with the sudden career choice I had to make and had no idea what I wanted to do. At the back of my mind I know that medicine is what I really want to do yet I feel stuck and feel I made the worst decision of my life to do pharmacy.

I'm considering a few options. The first of which is finish my degree and apply for post grad medicine. However I am aware of how competitive this is and I'm scared I'll keep getting rejected just end up in community pharmacy. There's also the small issue of the debt I'll come out with.

I'm considering dropping out of my course now and applying my A100 medicine instead. I got 3 A's at A level and finished with first this year (if that even counts for anything). I realise I would need to secure work experience/voluntary work extremely quickly if I want to apply this year for medicine and I'd essentially be taking a gap year anyway. However I'd be more likely to have luck applying next year and essentially taking 2 years out.

Any advice would be appreciated

I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who's had luck dropping out of a course and getting a place in medicine, thank you
    Finish the course. At least that way you have a degree and a job to fall back on.

If you leave now then what? Nothing to show for for the last couple of years, you've used up more than your grace period of student finance so you'd partly have to self fund and also you'd have to explain to medical schools why you gave up part way through.
    And what happens if you don't get in to medicine? Just spend year after year applying?

Seriously, just tough it out. Get a 2:1 and apply for gem. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    x
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Finish the course. At least that way you have a degree and a job to fall back on.

If you leave now then what? Nothing to show for for the last couple of years, you've used up more than your grace period of student finance so you'd partly have to self fund and also you'd have to explain to medical schools why you gave up part way through.
    And what happens if you don't get in to medicine? Just spend year after year applying?

Seriously, just tough it out. Get a 2:1 and apply for gem. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you not think it would be silly to though? I'd come out with another 30k more debt and I'd realistically have to do my pre reg year anyway

ReputationRep:
    Do you not think it would be silly to though? I'd come out with another 30k more debt and I'd realistically have to do my pre reg year anyway
    I would argue that 30k of debt with nothing to show for it is a whole lot worse than 60k of debt and a good degree. Even if you don't ever want to work as a pharmacist, you can use that degree to apply for jobs in other sectors.

Dropping out now is putting all your eggs in one basket in kind of a crazy way. What if you don't get in to medicine, then what's your plan? And it's pretty likely you wouldn't get in, as dropouts are EXTREMELY undesirable in medicine. Try writing to some medical schools, but I believe many of them would automatically reject you for being a drop out

It sucks, but I think you should just tough it out
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No I don't. Like I said, I think it's silly to leave.

At these levels of debt, you're never going to pay it off anyway. Repayments are fixed, so the total amount doesn't matter. But what will later is you've used more than your year of grace with student finance. Meaning that if you some how managed to get into medicine as an undergrad, you would need 9k to pay your fees plus X amount to live on.

Seriously suck it up and live with the decision you've made. The grass really isn't always greener in medicine, so get used to doing things you don't like. And as someone who has studied medicine with pharmacists... Those people know their ****! Pharmacy really helps in medicine. Plus, if you do your poor reg year, you'll be able to locum during med school and that makes so much financial sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've decided I'll just get my head down, not let it bother me anymore and make sure I come out the other side with the grade I want and then go from there.

Thank you all for all your advice everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.