Information Security MSc 2016/17 - Suggested Background Reading!

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I will be joining RHUL In september, super excited about that!
    In order to kill some anxiety, I wanted to ask to anyone who is or has been an InfoSec student if you could recommend any good summer reading

I'm looking at:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/isg/...uggestions.pdf
    Which of these readings would you recommend most?

Also I've noticed that none of the books suggested there for Computer Security are used as course textbooks, so I was wandering if you can give any feedback on their usefulness; should I bother reading those or get right to the core texts such as D.Goldman's?

Thank you!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I will be joining too, feeling a bit anxious but I am excited at the same time because I am thinking of all the wonderful things we need to learn. Just study the recommended textbooks, can share with you a pdf on a security exam so you can go through if you want.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to the MSc Syllabus page you can click on individual module titles to get the specification document. That lists the individual module textbooks for each course. The books listed for the Computer Security module, for example, are:

D. Gollmann, Computer Security, John Wiley & Sons, 2011 (3rd edition)
    M. Bishop, Computer Security: Art and Science, Addison-Wesley, 2003.
    C. P. Pfleeger and S. L. Pfleeger, Security in Computing, Prentice-Hall, 2007 (4th edition).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the info. What's your name though ? You on any social network? Be nice to catch up in class

ReputationRep:
    Whats your background you guys? Are you coming from the industry or undergrad? I am mostly self taught although I have some CS background

ReputationRep:
    I have about 3 years experience in desktop tech. undergraduate computer science.
    Being self taught is something to admire, takes lots of discipline.

you can add me on whatsapp 07534845873.

I am looking for study buddies. coming out with distinction is something I am really looking forward to.

ReputationRep:
    awesome, I'm aiming at distinction as well, just like everyone else in this field I guess. I 'm really happy that for the first time in my life I'll be able to share ideas with other people who like security and hacking. Add me on linkedin rather, /in/demedicicosimo .

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay; I'm in Nepal for the summer and my Internet connectivity kinda sucks here. My background is probably less technical that you. I did a bit of ethical hacking/digital forensics at undergrad but my experience is more along the lines of security management, risk and investigation (been working in the defence industry for a few years). I guess I'll probably take the secure digital business pathway but I'll see how it goes in the first few weeks.

Have you guys decided on accommodation yet? I've applied for the postgraduate halls but haven't had confirmation and I might end up arranging something private instead.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just thought i would say hi as i will be on the course in september as well for the recommended reading i found another thread on this forum which recommended a few sites to find cheaper second hand text books, bookfinder.com seems one of the better ones as searches various other sites. Hopefully useful

Lazyloki - when i asked the uni a few months ago they said we should hear from middle to end of july but clearly not. i did send another email yesterday asking if they had an updated ETA, so whenever i get a response i will update here

ReputationRep:
    steveormandy can you link the thread you're referring to?

lazyloki I called them last week and it seems they are just busy/not well organized, you can ask questions or find help on their webinar for accommodation, here is the link http://royalhollowaycommunications.a...cID=0&cValue=1

looking forward to seeing you all on campus

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Guys! I also got accepted, but I will be joining as a part-timer, because I am in full time employment. Congratulations to you all! Am I the only one coming from a non-IT background? I finished my bachelors in Criminology and Forensics, here in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else taking the Network Security module? I have been attempting to read the first few chapters of the textbook for this module. Despite doing CCNA and networking at undergrad level this book has completely lost me just curious if anyone else panicking about it like I am haha

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean "Computer Networks, a systems approach" by Peterson and Davie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosimodm)
    Do you mean "Computer Networks, a systems approach" by Peterson and Davie?
    Yep, that is the one

ReputationRep:
    steveormandy steveormandy honestly I find it easy to understand the core concepts, I've read the first three chapters, and this "systems approach" I find is much better than following layers' order. Of course it takes practice and repetition to get a hang of the formulas and understand the c code, but as long as you see the big picture should be good enough to follow lectures! I for one need to learn some of the math from scratch and the C code is pretty advanced for me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm doing the full time MSc Info Sec. Congratulations to you all.
    Looking forward to meeting up.

ReputationRep:
    Just moved in on campus! I m always free for a coffee if anyone wants to meet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosimodm)
    Just moved in on campus! I m always free for a coffee if anyone wants to meet
    I think you read my mind. Just sent you a private message!

ReputationRep:
    Coffee, eh? Anyone arrived early and want to go grab a beer?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyloki)
    Coffee, eh? Anyone arrived early and want to go grab a beer?!
    Way ahead of you

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 11, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.