Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

ReputationRep:
    i've got 10 gcses, 5 at grade B, 5 at grade C
    grade B include maths, double science, IT and English

ive done a levels in Physics, Computing, General studies, done an AS in Maths and Business studies ( reckon I might have failed that ) and i'm taking a gap year
    im planning to go to university to do a 3 year Bsc degree in something sciency

i'm happy with my build, ( skinny, nicely built ) and fast generally, but could benefit from keeping off less of the chocolate, i reckon there is a potential in me becoming fitter

ive had a keen interest in planes at a young age, there is no point whatsoever in applying to get a sponsership at somewhere like BA or anywhere infact as i know i won't get through , competition is so fierce to fly passanger aircraft

joining the RAF sounds like fun, i mean you get to fly planes for fun! not doing some *****y 9 to 5 job monday to friday
    only thing is you have to be commited to it and spend your life at the RAF pretty much, and don't really get to go home, and could get moved

any tips/info? please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    i've been diagnosed with ADD ( attention deficient disorder ) at about 11 years old

i've got 10 gcses, 4 at grade B, 6 at grade C
    grade B include maths, double science and IT

ive done a levels in Physics, Computing, General studies, done an AS in Maths and Business studies ( reckon I might have failed that ) and i'm taking a gap year in which I will do an AS in Biology

im planning to go to university to do a 3 year Bsc degree in something sciency

i'm happy with my build, ( skinny, nicely built ) and fast generally, but could benefit from keeping off less of the chocolate, i reckon there is a potential in me becoming fitter

ive had a keen interest in planes at a young age, there is no point whatsoever in applying to get a sponsership at somewhere like BA or anywhere infact as i know i won't get through , competition is so fierce to fly passanger aircraft

joining the RAF sounds like fun, i mean you get to fly planes for fun! not doing some *****y 9 to 5 job monday to friday
    only thing is you have to be commited to it and spend your life at the RAF pretty much, and don't really get to go home, and could get moved

any tips/info? please let me know!
    Look at the posts on RAF : Officer/Pilot Entry. There is a lot of info on there.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that if you want to fly as part of the Royal Air Force you need to be = or <23 years of age to apply. If you take a gap year your probably going to be graduating from university when your 24/25 years of age which makes you too old. Though i'm not sure if the age boundaries are that strict, or if they apply to university air squadron cadet officers. It's just a thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Remember that if you want to fly as part of the Royal Air Force you need to be = or <23 years of age to apply. If you take a gap year your probably going to be graduating from university when your 24/25 years of age which makes you too old. Though i'm not sure if the age boundaries are that strict, or if they apply to university air squadron cadet officers. It's just a thought!
    Surely if they take a gap year, and then proceed to Uni to do a 3 year course, they'll graduate aged 22???

ReputationRep:
    so if i was to train with the RAF for 3 years after university and drop out to become a helicopter pilot for civil aviation, flying people about and that kind of thing how realistic would I be, graduate and all?

ReputationRep:
    Flyer,

I don't mean to break it to you, but what you're suggesting just won't happen.

You sound like someone who intends to use the RAF as a means to an end, and OASC will see right through it.

Even if you were to get through, after training theres a return of service. The airforce isn't simply going to let you leave after three years, considering the investment they've made in your training.

Another thing to remember is that in the RAF, you join with the aim of becoming a fast jet pilot. Thats why body measurements are designed around the fast jet cockpit for example. Theres no such thing as the AFCO recruiting you to become an ME or rotary pilot, the aim is to get you on fast jets, and if that doesn't work out, then on to ME or rotary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Cheese)
    Flyer,

I don't mean to break it to you, but what you're suggesting just won't happen.

You sound like someone who intends to use the RAF as a means to an end, and OASC will see right through it.

Even if you were to get through, after training theres a return of service. The airforce isn't simply going to let you leave after three years, considering the investment they've made in your training.

Another thing to remember is that in the RAF, you join with the aim of becoming a fast jet pilot. Thats why body measurements are designed around the fast jet cockpit for example. Theres no such thing as the AFCO recruiting you to become an ME or rotary pilot, the aim is to get you on fast jets, and if that doesn't work out, then on to ME or rotary.
    Gotta say i'm with BC on this one. You will not pass OASC the way you are considering going about it, and it doesn't really sounds like you have thought through what a career in the RAF involves.

As a Pilot you will be on a 12 yr commission so you would have to PVR to get out after only 3. And 3 yrs may not even be enough to get fully trained. Also, you don't pick what you fly, the RAF do, and finally, have you thought about killing people or the possibility of being killed yourself in action?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I think what you need to do is research first. You obviously didn't know anything about the RAF get you were talking about doing a career with them. Fair enough if it isn't for you but I for one don't appreciate the vulgar language. And no you don;t get to fly planes 'for fun'. In fact I would view the commerical side of things more 'fun' than military flying.

What makes you think you can just go into aviation when you do a degree? You yourself said you don't think you would get in a competition is so fierce. Why do 3 years of a degree when you could do a 4 year honors degree? Why do a science degree when you should be looking at Avionics or Aerospace Engineering with a combined Pilots license? I think you really need to take another look at yourself. If you were really comitted to flying you would have come across these options easily.

ReputationRep:
    my uncle was in the RAF, he said he went in there for fun and in the end was one away from a Wing Commander whatever that is

we'll see what the selection process says, if they want me, they'll have me, if they don't then its not for me,

ReputationRep:
    my uncle was in the RAF, he said he went in there for fun and in the end was one away from a Wing Commander whatever that is

we'll see what the selection process says, if they want me, they'll have me, if they don't then its not for me,
    If you don't know what a Wing Commnader is, or the ranks beneath it, you've got a long way to go.

ReputationRep:
    isn't it like the top or something?

who cares about knowing every single detail of the RAF, i go there, they train me, if they dont have me on the selection process, then it isnt for me, if they do take me on, then its all good

i'll go there to be a pilot and that is that

ReputationRep:
    Flyer, after reading your last few posts its obvious to me that you shouldn't pursue the RAF.

First of all, when you go to selection, the main thing they'll be assessing you on is your officer qualities.

Yes, they will be assessing your aptitude and medical aswell, though they really are out of your hands.

As has already been mentioned, competition is fierce, and people do try and know ins and out of the RAF in detail, so what makes you think that its alright not knowing the ins and out of the job??

But hey, what do I or Icklecathy know?? We only went through the selection the other week!!

Either way, I don't mean to put a downer on things, so good luck regardless!

ReputationRep:
    so? i could still become a pilot, i'm young im 18 years old, becoming a pilot has been in the back of my mind for a while now and it kind of struck me the other day

it is good to have ambitions

ReputationRep:
    Give the guy a chance! He might be well suited to the RAF!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasedIt)
    Give the guy a chance! He might be well suited to the RAF!
    I'd say better suited for the Army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    I'd say better suited for the Army.
    Quite a statement that! But I think i'd enjoy flying planes

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly do you want to join the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to invest millions of pounds training you if you're not going to stick around you know. And think about it why would an airline take you and invest their money into you when you can't stick at the RAF? I'm sure there are plenty of people just queing up to be civilian pilots, why take a drop out when there might be an RAF pilot who's completed his service wanting to be a civilian pilot?

ReputationRep:
    To Be a Pilot

But I asked an airline pilot and he said he did training in the RAF for a few years then went through the selection service at BA. He also had a PPL before he joined up with the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    To Be a Pilot

But I asked an airline pilot and he said he did training in the RAF for a few years then went through the selection service at BA. He also had a PPL before he joined up with the RAF.
    Here's a hint. When you are applying to the RAF, even as a Pilot, you are an Officer first and foremost, and a Pilot, or whatever else, second. That's why it's not a good idea to join a fighting force purely because you want to fly.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.