Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by BloBoy)
    It is complete *******s.... he could be one of the best pilots.
    In today's RAF, the ability to manhandle a jet around the sky doesn't necessarily mean you're the best operator. Especially with some of our more modern aircraft, the best pilots are those who can rapidly appreciate a situation in 3 dimensions, take in feeds of information visually and aurally from a number of different sources, process it, work out a plan, communicate it to a formation etc; all while still maintaining the highest standard of flying.

So yes, flyer may indeed have good hands; but to end this sort of nonsense for a while, take it from someone who DOES know, with any history of ADD; in fact, with his apparent attitude regardless; he will NOT make a good front line military aviator.

Should he want to do it he not only needs to prove that his condition never affected him, but also has to grow up an awful, awful lot.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Frenzie)
    The guy doesn't even have ADD so I don't know what the fuss is all about. And I disagree, I was told different.
    As I mention, anything resembling ADD seems to be the least of flyer's worries. Besides, if his behaviour on a simple forum designed to answer peoples' questions is anything to go by he seems to have schizophrenia rather than anything else..

ReputationRep:
    you think peoples personalities on an internet forum reflect what they are like in real life? get real. And a commercial pilot appeals to me more than the RAF!

ReputationRep:
    Wzz is the medical for a Royal Air Force pilot more strict than civil aviation medicals, the JAR class 1 medical for example? (Obviously you have to take both to know but what the hek, just thought i'd ask)
    Also as a pilot in the RAF how often do you have medical check-ups? are they as strict as the medical you would take at RAF Cranwell during OASC?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    you think peoples personalities on an internet forum reflect what they are like in real life? get real. And a commercial pilot appeals to me more than the RAF!
    Yes, I believe they do. Certainly I believe that if you decide to act up in a ridiculously immature, offensive way on a benign site designed to give people information, then you've definately not got the sort of personality we're going to recruit.

By all means go and become a commercial pilot. Why carrying a bunch of lager louts to Ibiza in the dead of night appeals more than screaming around hills at 500mph, I don't know. But should you fund yourself there with this attitude intact, you'll find that the team environment in aviation is very similar regardless of the field. You'll not be popular.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've never had a JAR medical, so I have no idea. The medical I have every year is the same as the OASC part one medical, with blood tests, ECGs etc at various intervals as you age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Yes, I believe they do. Certainly I believe that if you decide to act up in a ridiculously immature, offensive way on a benign site designed to give people information, then you've definately not got the sort of personality we're going to recruit.

By all means go and become a commercial pilot. Why carrying a bunch of lager louts to Ibiza in the dead of night appeals more than screaming around hills at 500mph, I don't know. But should you fund yourself there with this attitude intact, you'll find that the team environment in aviation is very similar regardless of the field. You'll not be popular.
    how the hell can you say that? peoples personalities on here do not reflect real life personalities, trust me, in real life im a lot quieter in general, obviiously not with frinds....you're just arrogant, you've probably never even been up in an airplane and i'd probably make a better pilot than you'd ever be

yes, flying a boeing appeals to me more as you get to live at home, not some horrible house that the RAF provide you

ReputationRep:
    As a pilot gets older his eyesight for example may start to deteriorate slightly. Considering the money spent training this pilot would it then become ok to allow him/ her to fly with corrective vision spectacles? If so, would it be fair to say medicals for serving pilots are less intense, in otherwords more easy to pass?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    you're just arrogant, you've probably never even been up in an airplane and i'd probably make a better pilot than you'd ever be

yes, flying a boeing appeals to me more as you get to live at home, not some horrible house that the RAF provide you
    Congratulations on your research. While I lived in an Officers' Mess during training, in keeping with almost all my peers, I now live in my own home. "Horrible house?" Officers' families' quarters are very nice almost everywhere.

Your first line seems to sum you up. Because I criticise you for sniping, baiting, starting fights, sending abusive private messages, that means I'm not a pilot, and you're better at flying than me....?

Grow up. If you're interested in flying, apologise, ask questions, learn to contribute. If not, then leave this thread to those of us who are.

As I said, if you doubt that I'm in the RAF I'd love to prove it; if only to stop ridiculous threads like this taking up so much time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Rhys, you can fly with correction after you've joined down to a certain level. I have no idea off hand what that is. You're simply tested every year, and if you need glasses, you're given them. It's not that the medical's less stringent, they just downgrade your "medical employment standard" to reflect this and keep you airborne.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Wzz,
    any chance that 'proving' you're in the RAF could involve a trip flying through the lakes at insane speeds

And can people please not call me a ****** for giving an opinion!

ReputationRep:
    I know a friend who has flown with the red arrows....Envy

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Vladek]Hey Wzz,
    any chance that 'proving' you're in the RAF could involve a trip flying through the lakes at insane speeds QUOTE]

Would there be room for a second passenger!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Nikki J S]
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Hey Wzz,
    any chance that 'proving' you're in the RAF could involve a trip flying through the lakes at insane speeds QUOTE]

I'd be happy being tied to the wing if it ment getting a trip round the lakes in a fast jet

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy being tied to the wing if it ment getting a trip round the lakes in a fast jet
    Me too. Although we might end up with icicles on our noses, which wouldn't be very pleasant. Never mind- I'll stick to gliding in the Vigilant for now

ReputationRep:
    why does that give me an image of southpark the movie with operation human shield ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    why does that give me an image of southpark the movie with operation human shield ?
    What have random people tied to planes as missile bait?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I think getting the authorisation for that might prove tricky.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I think getting the authorisation for that might prove tricky.....
    Well if Vladek doesn't mind being tied to the wing I could be the 1st passenger
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think getting the authorisation to take anyone might prove tricky for a while...!

Give me a ring when you're the UMO somewhere. If you're going to study aviation medicine, I'm sure it'd be prudent to get you airborne at least once

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.