Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    reading through the thread it's getting abit heated! I'm not giving any advice, just do what you want to do, not what you ought to do.
    There are alot of poeple in these forums protraying themselves as 'no it alls', most of the time putting other people down. Reality is they are probably quite the opposite come face to face.
    This thread is getting quite immature don't you think? Would'nt expect future officer candidates for the RAF to be bickering back and forth at each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    reading through the thread it's getting abit heated! I'm not giving any advice, just do what you want to do, not what you ought to do.
    There are alot of poeple in these forums protraying themselves as 'no it alls', most of the time putting other people down. Reality is they are probably quite the opposite come face to face.
    This thread is getting quite immature don't you think? Would'nt expect future officer candidates for the RAF to be bickering back and forth at each other.
    Seconded, they all seem to be putting him/her down!

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit, I did start with some rather negative views, as I was wound up by his brash comments about getting in, using it as a platform etc, however, I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and posted him with some advice that should help him in the interview process.

Flyer, get yourself on a station visit, that way if you are serious about the RAF, you can speak to the aircrews and find out the gen straight from the horses mouth.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Fair enough that we should be aiding him more in his quest to become 'a super cool fighter pilot' but I think that he should really be taking some of this onboard. We have all given him some advice.

Flyer_2k3, at OASC you can go through about a weeks worth of interviews. It isn't as simple as a university interview and you cannot just 'wing it'. It takes I would say at least 6 months of preparation. I am going into the RAF as a tradesperson for which the requirements are much less than an officer. When coming up to my filter interview at AFCO (an in-depth 45min interview to see if you are ready for OASC) I was studying for at least 6 hours a day, 7 days a week while holding down a full-time job. I didn't just want to pass the interview, I wanted to make an impression on the officers at the armed forces careers office. If I had gone ahead with the officer selection, I would have pushed myself to make sure that I not only passed OASC but tried my hardest to pass with the top. It people like me, and Rhys, Icklecathy, and others here that will have the chance to do this, as we don't just want to succeed, we want to be the best. We want to push ourselves higher and further and THAT is what the RAF is looking for.

The people that will be doing your interview (it will be a panel) are trained to get under your skin. They know the questions to ask that will make you screw up, and they can see right through lies. They see thousands of wannabes every year and from them they pick a few exceptional people to go on to join the airforce. It isn't like national service when anyone could join up and have a bit of a laugh. The Air Force today is a highly skilled environment full of motivated, determined people who are commited to defending this country. Joining isn't simply for a bit of fun, it is a life altering amazing decision that is right for some, and wrong for others. You join for the life, and the career, not to fly fast jets. (although yes, admittedly it is probably pretty cool)

And that is why on an internet forum, we can tell that you are not ready to join up and sign the dotted line. Perhaps in the future you will be! After all 18 is quite young and if you don't mind me saying immature. You have years ahead of you where you may decide to look into the RAF more, and why not? Go for it, follow your dreams and remember that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. (and study a bit more about it!) But I can say, from what I know it is a spectacular career choice, and that is why I am joining.

P.S- I too have always wanted to be a pilot. I have always had a love of aircraft since I was a child. Due to an old injury I wouldn't pass the eye tests. I still held onto my dreams and am doing the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    It's people like me, and Rhys, Icklecathy, and others here that will have the chance to do this, as we don't just want to succeed, we want to be the best. We want to push ourselves higher and further and THAT is what the RAF is looking for.
    Woohoo, glad someone can tell how keen I am! If only the Boarding Officer's would have a browse on here it might sway them!

ReputationRep:
    Flyer

In my opinion you are a 1st class *******.

if/when i get in, i would never ever want to fly with anyone like you if/when you get in. That may seem harsh but i would not want my life in the hands of someone who was anything less than 100% committed to the job.

Loads of people look at military flying and civilian flying if they want to be a pilot. Even i did it. However, i have decided that i am going to sign up for a permanent commission and will see this period out before i consider switching to civilian flying. I would never ever dream of trying to use the government as a charity.

ReputationRep:
    wow thanks guys i think you have put me off flying for life if i'm going to come across this arrogancy

ReputationRep:
    get a grip flyer, this is a forum full of people who really want to join up, if you come here posting things that you've posted what do you expect? if you'd said something like "Hey i'm thinking about joining the RAF but i'm also looking into civilian flying, whats involved? whats my chances of getting a job in the civilian sector after leaving the RAF" people would of jump with joy and given you loads of advice, but unfortunatly you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    i still got time to think about it, but i'll go for it, just would appreciate the less arrogant talk, i heard people joining the raf so that boeing could train post raf people, but thought it would have been ok
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    wow thanks guys i think you have put me off flying for life if i'm going to come across this arrogancy
    didn't you read my post? I offered constructive help

ReputationRep:
    I think what you need to do is research first. You obviously didn't know anything about the RAF get you were talking about doing a career with them. Fair enough if it isn't for you but I for one don't appreciate the vulgar language. And no you don;t get to fly planes 'for fun'. In fact I would view the commerical side of things more 'fun' than military flying.
    telling me wot and wot not to do but ok if u want to see that as constructive help then ok

ReputationRep:
    Flyer, you have been given constructive help!!! How can you say you haven't.

Re read my posts if you like, and others, because I know for certain people have given you the benefit of the doubt.

And by the way, people aren't being arrogant, far from it, what is arrogant is the way you simply think you can do what you want to do, without any real fuss.

Now re read these posts, because theres plenty of gen there for you to start the ball rolling!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Fair enough that we should be aiding him more in his quest to become 'a super cool fighter pilot' but I think that he should really be taking some of this onboard. We have all given him some advice.

Flyer_2k3, at OASC you can go through about a weeks worth of interviews. It isn't as simple as a university interview and you cannot just 'wing it'. It takes I would say at least 6 months of preparation. I am going into the RAF as a tradesperson for which the requirements are much less than an officer. When coming up to my filter interview at AFCO (an in-depth 45min interview to see if you are ready for OASC) I was studying for at least 6 hours a day, 7 days a week while holding down a full-time job. I didn't just want to pass the interview, I wanted to make an impression on the officers at the armed forces careers office. If I had gone ahead with the officer selection, I would have pushed myself to make sure that I not only passed OASC but tried my hardest to pass with the top. It people like me, and Rhys, Icklecathy, and others here that will have the chance to do this, as we don't just want to succeed, we want to be the best. We want to push ourselves higher and further and THAT is what the RAF is looking for.

The people that will be doing your interview (it will be a panel) are trained to get under your skin. They know the questions to ask that will make you screw up, and they can see right through lies. They see thousands of wannabes every year and from them they pick a few exceptional people to go on to join the airforce. It isn't like national service when anyone could join up and have a bit of a laugh. The Air Force today is a highly skilled environment full of motivated, determined people who are commited to defending this country. Joining isn't simply for a bit of fun, it is a life altering amazing decision that is right for some, and wrong for others. You join for the life, and the career, not to fly fast jets. (although yes, admittedly it is probably pretty cool)

And that is why on an internet forum, we can tell that you are not ready to join up and sign the dotted line. Perhaps in the future you will be! After all 18 is quite young and if you don't mind me saying immature. You have years ahead of you where you may decide to look into the RAF more, and why not? Go for it, follow your dreams and remember that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. (and study a bit more about it!) But I can say, from what I know it is a spectacular career choice, and that is why I am joining.

P.S- I too have always wanted to be a pilot. I have always had a love of aircraft since I was a child. Due to an old injury I wouldn't pass the eye tests. I still held onto my dreams and am doing the next best thing.

What on earth is that then? I write out all that for nothing? You have some nerve.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone needs to chill. The trouble with internet forums is text is very blunt. You don't get any of the tone and body language that is so importent for convaying context and mean. I'm sure nobody here's really that rude or arrogant. Before you reply, take a deep breath and remember that if you've been offended by somthing someone has posted, they probebly didn't mean to offend you, but just wanted to put forward a point of view that was in contrast to your own.

In most cases there is no wrong and right, just point's of view. Remeber what Obiwan said. There's no prize here for knowing the most.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    you do know obiwan isn't real right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    you do know obiwan isn't real right?
    Sorry? I don't understand. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    And blame me if your engines don't work

ReputationRep:
    Obiwan doesn't exist, Darth vader isn't going to lay waste to your home world and the ewoks weren't a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Obiwan doesn't exist, Darth vader isn't going to lay waste to your home world and the ewoks weren't a good idea!
    You wana take this out side? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weena_no9)
    You wana take this out side? :mad:
    i'd be glad to help

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.