Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Please (ALL OF YOU) shut up now! I'm fed up of reading bul!****. I log onto this site to see if there is any new or interesting info and i get this...ffs
    Its just a forum, don't have a heart attack over it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    like i said, and like DeadMedic agreed, i know TWO pilot officers that were diagnosed with ADD!

you remind me of the nerds at school that used to get bullied
    Fancy naming them in a private message to me? I don't fancy sharing airspace with people with such conditions, and while I've been away from the medics for a while I don't think they should be airborne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Fancy naming them in a private message to me? I don't fancy sharing airspace with people with such conditions, and while I've been away from the medics for a while I don't think they should be airborne.
    Thank God you're back.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Glad to be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    If you read previously you would know that I do not actually have the condition.

How old are you? What Rank are you?

ReputationRep:
    Wzz

After failing the interview at OASC, they said come back in 2 years time. Do they have records of what they told you and expect you to follow what they said? What would be the result of coming back earlier? I really want to apply again and get in (hopefully) but i'm worried that it may appear to them that i don't follow orders or something stupid.

cheers

Mark
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mark1010)
    Wzz

After failing the interview at OASC, they said come back in 2 years time. Do they have records of what they told you and expect you to follow what they said? What would be the result of coming back earlier? I really want to apply again and get in (hopefully) but i'm worried that it may appear to them that i don't follow orders or something stupid.

cheers

Mark
    Yes, they do keep records. I know of one bloke who didn't get in because his "one tentative experience with drugs" he spoke of was quoted as being on a different occasion when he came back for his second run.

They'll know you've been asked to come back in 2 years, and generally that advice is given for very good reasons. They probably think it ties in nicely with some time at uni, or graduating, or whatever, and you need that time to mature.

If you go back early, be prepared to be asked why you think you're now ready. How have you packed 2 years' worth of growing up and developing in a year? Why didn't you want to wait 2?

I've seen one or two applications from uni refused because they went against advice from a previous refusal.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    How old are you? What Rank are you?
    Would you like my service number as well?

Unsurprisingly I don't want to start listing everything about me on an internet forum. I'm happy to give anonymous advice but it's a ridiculous idea that anyone in the forces list personal information somewhere like this.

In keeping with most pilots still fairly new, I'm in my twenties and within the bounds of what the forces term a junior officer.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that. Guess its probably better to wait for the time they said rather than maybe create the wrong impression.

Am i right in saying that you can only do the aptitude tests twice but you can apply until you are 23 (for pilot) if you have passed them?

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I spoke to a medical officer while I was getting a medical and I was told under no circumstances would anyone who has any history of ADD be allowed to fly.

Hope that clears things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
    I spoke to a medical officer while I was getting a medical and I was told under no circumstances would anyone who has any history of ADD be allowed to fly.

That's what I've been saying all along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Wolf75)

Sorry, but that is the worst load of *******s i've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloBoy)
    Sorry, but that is the worst load of *******s i've ever heard.
    How is it *******s? Its just sensible you don't want someone who can't concentrate flying Jets, or any other type of aircraft,packed with fuel and bombs around do you.

Its like you'd not want a pilot with only one working eye. If they don't let you fly cos you sneeze a bit in summer they're hardly going to let you fly if you can't concentrate on what you're doing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'll ask at my next annual medical and get a conclusive answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I'll ask at my next annual medical and get a conclusive answer.
    You mean we have to wait anything up to a year to find out
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes. Although luckily, my medical is due in weeks rather than months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    How is it *******s? Its just sensible you don't want someone who can't concentrate flying Jets, or any other type of aircraft,packed with fuel and bombs around do you.

Its like you'd not want a pilot with only one working eye. If they don't let you fly cos you sneeze a bit in summer they're hardly going to let you fly if you can't concentrate on what you're doing.
    It is complete *******s.... he could be one of the best pilots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloBoy)
    It is complete *******s.... he could be one of the best pilots.
    Look there are just some jobs you shouldn't do if you have a condition with symptoms that mean you lose concentration, its nothing against the person.

These are the symptoms nikki stated...

often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes;
    often has difficulty sustaining attention to tasks;
    often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly;
    often fails to follow instructions carefully and completely;
    losing or forgetting important things; feeling restless, often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming;
    running or climbing excessively;
    often talks excessively;
    often blurts out answers before hearing the whole question;
    often has difficulty awaiting turn.

Now look at them and tell me you want someone with that condition flying a plane at insanely low hieght over your house? What if he doesn't concentrate and drops a bomb on a school instead of a bunker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Look there are just some jobs you shouldn't do if you have a condition with symptoms that mean you lose concentration, its nothing against the person.

These are the symptoms nikki stated...

often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes;
    often has difficulty sustaining attention to tasks;
    often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly;
    often fails to follow instructions carefully and completely;
    losing or forgetting important things; feeling restless, often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming;
    running or climbing excessively;
    often talks excessively;
    often blurts out answers before hearing the whole question;
    often has difficulty awaiting turn.

Now look at them and tell me you want someone with that condition flying a plane at insanely low hieght over your house? What if he doesn't concentrate and drops a bomb on a school instead of a bunker?
    Your posts are the most idiotic posts i've ever read in my life. I agree with the other guy, he could be the best pilot in the whole damn squadron for all you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TweetToo)
    Your posts are the most idiotic posts i've ever read in my life. I agree with the other guy, he could be the best pilot in the whole damn squadron for all you know.
    Yeah or he could kill your family cos he wasn't paying attention.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.