Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

So, I will be applying for 2017 entry to do mental health nursing. The deadline to apply is October 15th this year. It has been emphasised to me that I need to get relevant work experience before applying, so that really means over this summer. I have no idea how to go about getting work experience, does anybody have any advice? I have volunteered before, but they have said it needs to be a work experience basis. Have I left it too late?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
    Hi.

So, I will be applying for 2017 entry to do mental health nursing. The deadline to apply is October 15th this year. It has been emphasised to me that I need to get relevant work experience before applying, so that really means over this summer. I have no idea how to go about getting work experience, does anybody have any advice? I have volunteered before, but they have said it needs to be a work experience basis. Have I left it too late?

Thanks.
    Volunteering is fine, look into your local NHS trust and see what schemes they have available. Try MIND and other charities, local counselling services or care homes. You've left it a bit late to get something over summer, but you might be lucky. If not you can always do something on the weekends or an evening, assuming you're just at college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I've worked for mind when I did my interview I actually drew on my experience as a general hca. Because as I said right back in my hca interview (it was bank) I don't mind where I'm placed don't feel needed to put me in mh because everyone everywhere has a mh and in general medical care you will come across many people with varying mental health from the people who have great mental health to people whose mental health is crap often due to chronic health conditions.

So basically in short you can do it in lots of places it's not expected to be a mh ward or even mh related but how you view and use it and can draw on it in your personal statement and interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.