AsapRocky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Scientifically is there any possibility it can be done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes! I think so, we're just not advanced enough yet as a species. But the red shift effect explains that universes looking at us through a telescope )or whatever) they are actually seeing the dinosaurs, or stone age man (because the light is so far away) - so technically, not matter what age you are born, your life is immortalised (due to the finite amount of universes looking at you from different distances).
Spoiler:
Show
I hope some of that made sense
AsapRocky
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
Yes! I think so, we're just not advanced enough yet as a species. But the red shift effect explains that universes looking at us through a telescope )or whatever) they are actually seeing the dinosaurs, or stone age man (because the light is so far away) - so technically, not matter what age you are born, your life is immortalised (due to the finite amount of universes looking at you from different distances).
Spoiler:
Show
I hope some of that made sense
U gotta be joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AsapRocky)
U gotta be joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, prepare yourself for this is deep.
Spoiler:
Show
You don't have to travel to space faster than light to see the Earth in the past. All you need to do is travel to a vantage point in space, e.g. ISS and you will see the Earth in the past. The farther away you travel in space, the farther the Earth will "travel" backwards in time (even after correcting for travel time).It is easy to prove this! Look at an attractive woman or man (your choice) who is a meter away from you on Earth. That's very near so you must be peeping from the wall, LoL. The moment you see the person, you know that he/she is DEFINITELY a person from the PAST. The speed of light in free space is exactly 299,792,458 meters per second. In earth's atmosphere, the speed of light slows, though this is negligible. Let's say it is 299,792,000 meters per second because it's foggy and because I don't like to use a calculator to nit-pick. Photons emitted from the nose of the person (who you believe is a person of the present) will hit your cornea in 3.33564605E-9 seconds (~3.33 nanoseconds). They will then traverse your cataract-free lens and strike the first layer of your retina after another 6.17094519E-11 seconds (~0.06 nanoseconds). Retinal information processing may take 0.05 seconds (50 million nanoseconds). Add another 0.05 seconds (50 million nanoseconds) to get the signal to the primary visual cortex. At this point, you already see the person, but will not be able to tell yet if he/she is a person and whether he/she is attractive. That will take another 0.2-0.3 seconds (200-300 million nanoseconds), assuming you are free from neurodegeneration and other brain disorders. Enough of this circumlocution! Let's now get to the point. I just used an attractive person, in place of an attractive planet, to demonstrate the fact that THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN PHYSICS AS "SEEING" THE PRESENT. Anyone who is stationary or traveling at subluminal speed will always see PAST EVENTS. If you wish to see the Earth 1,000 years in the past, simply travel away at subluminal speed; only make sure you remain alive to get to a position in space where you can see the Earth 1,000 year older than when you departed.Now if you travel out in space at light-speed and look back then you will see the Earth at the present time! Since time has "frozen" everything you see is "present". But there are two caveats: you should find a way to avoid accelerating at the beginning and decelerating at the end of your journey, in which case you should already be travelling at light-speed even before you thought about this question and you should never stop to read the answer before looking back to view Earth. Only photons and other massless entities are capable of this magic so, in theory, you can't! (taken from quora.com)
AsapRocky
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
Nope, prepare yourself for this is deep.
Spoiler:
Show
You don't have to travel to space faster than light to see the Earth in the past. All you need to do is travel to a vantage point in space, e.g. ISS and you will see the Earth in the past. The farther away you travel in space, the farther the Earth will "travel" backwards in time (even after correcting for travel time).It is easy to prove this! Look at an attractive woman or man (your choice) who is a meter away from you on Earth. That's very near so you must be peeping from the wall, LoL. The moment you see the person, you know that he/she is DEFINITELY a person from the PAST. The speed of light in free space is exactly 299,792,458 meters per second. In earth's atmosphere, the speed of light slows, though this is negligible. Let's say it is 299,792,000 meters per second because it's foggy and because I don't like to use a calculator to nit-pick. Photons emitted from the nose of the person (who you believe is a person of the present) will hit your cornea in 3.33564605E-9 seconds (~3.33 nanoseconds). They will then traverse your cataract-free lens and strike the first layer of your retina after another 6.17094519E-11 seconds (~0.06 nanoseconds). Retinal information processing may take 0.05 seconds (50 million nanoseconds). Add another 0.05 seconds (50 million nanoseconds) to get the signal to the primary visual cortex. At this point, you already see the person, but will not be able to tell yet if he/she is a person and whether he/she is attractive. That will take another 0.2-0.3 seconds (200-300 million nanoseconds), assuming you are free from neurodegeneration and other brain disorders. Enough of this circumlocution! Let's now get to the point. I just used an attractive person, in place of an attractive planet, to demonstrate the fact that THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN PHYSICS AS "SEEING" THE PRESENT. Anyone who is stationary or traveling at subluminal speed will always see PAST EVENTS. If you wish to see the Earth 1,000 years in the past, simply travel away at subluminal speed; only make sure you remain alive to get to a position in space where you can see the Earth 1,000 year older than when you departed.Now if you travel out in space at light-speed and look back then you will see the Earth at the present time! Since time has "frozen" everything you see is "present". But there are two caveats: you should find a way to avoid accelerating at the beginning and decelerating at the end of your journey, in which case you should already be travelling at light-speed even before you thought about this question and you should never stop to read the answer before looking back to view Earth. Only photons and other massless entities are capable of this magic so, in theory, you can't! (taken from quora.com)
I see flaws in this though..are you really time travelling though? because time is advancing you are just seeing an image of past events you couldn't have any influence over past events like stop 9/11 or interact with people of the past, really you are watching a movie so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Platopus
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know but I really hope not. I don't want people being able to go back and mess with my past.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it is possible some time, where are the future explorers visiting us now? :confused:
AsapRocky
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
If it is possible some time, where are the future explorers visiting us now? :confused:
This is the flaw I see in time travel (refer to above post) either way you look at it there is on one accurate time, everything else is just images from light

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is the flaw I see in time travel (refer to above post) either way you look at it there is on one accurate time, everything else is just images from light

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've read different things about the concept of time from a scientific point of view. Some argue that there is no 'time' in reality, that is a human perception - there is a 'direction of entropy' which cannot be reversed. Others argue that 'time' does exist and started when the universe started. Didn't Einstein rely crucially on time in his equations? I'm a little hazy on the details. :teehee:
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I was telling my friend this only tomorrow.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Yes, I was telling my friend this only tomorrow.
I think I spoke to him myself, when I was down at the shops the day after yesterday, just before the day before tomorrow.
Yael
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrsWPCp_rs
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The faster you travel, the slower time moves relative to you. So it is possible to move forward through time rapidly while experiencing less time from your perspective. Mass also plays a role in this, but I ain't no physicist, so you'll have to look that up.

It's not possible to go to go backwards through time, however. While time can speed up or slow down, you cannot revisit the past, seeing as it no longer exists.

This is, to my knowledge, what we understand about time and space so far.
theBranicAc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your time travelling right now
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope that we one day become advanced enough to travel back in time. How amazing would it be to see legendary historical figures and events in the flesh :moon:
Nwani
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Currently backwards time travel violates a fundamental law of physics, that is 'the entropy (disorder) of the universe can only ever increase' this law is the reason why we experience time as 'forwards going' everywhere in the known universe. However time travel in itself can be shown to be a natural consequence of Einstein-style four dimensional space-time, time itself can be treated like another dimension in which an objects position can be defined.
New- Emperor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
theoretically yes if you can go faster then the speed of light It can be done there was a test done I fact with two clocks and concord they sicroniseed two clocks one in new your one in concord they found once they landed at new yours that the clock on concord was running slower in flight so it can be done but the speed that you have to go would kill you*
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I think I spoke to him myself, when I was down at the shops the day after yesterday, just before the day before tomorrow.
We don't have mutual friends :hand:

InvestmentBankin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I hope that we one day become advanced enough to travel back in time. How amazing would it be to see legendary historical figures and events in the flesh :moon:
I don't think this is how it would work though according to the theories.
JoeyTr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All depends on who you believe, if you believe Einstien and General Relativity, and it's a fair assumption to do so, then no. Forward time travel yes, backwards no. Also if backwards is possible then P=NP, and we're almost certain it isn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.3%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (17)
39.53%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.6%

Watched Threads