Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I thought it would be good to get in touch with other Canadians who will also be starting Law at Leicester this September.
    Are there many on TSR? Have you guys found accommodation yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was just thinking of starting one of these. I'm going to be in beaumont house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canuck93)
    Hey I was just thinking of starting one of these. I'm going to be in beaumont house.
    Great minds think alike . I'm still waiting to be allocated a room, hoping for Opal court or Nixon court.

Are you from BC???

ReputationRep:
    No I'm from Ontario

ReputationRep:
    No I'm from Ontario
    Oh I was asking because of the username.
    I'm currently working on the student visa. Have you started? Will you be paying your fees before applying or after?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I picked the name because I wanted to point out that I'm Canadian I didn't expect too many hockey fans to read this board. I cheer for the leafs by the way. I have dual citizenship so I don't have to deal with the visa process and I plan on paying my fees as soon as possible while the pound is weak.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a law student, but I suppose I am a de facto Canadian. Well, if you count citizenship. But I'm from the US. However... definitely caught my interest with a little chat about hockey! Lifelong fan, will be up late some nights just to watch once I head over to the Leicester in September

re: paying off your tuition as soon as possible... I would suggest waiting. The Bank of England has suggested they will be increasing money supply through the summer. The GBP will continue to lose value through that time. August or early September seems to be a good time to lock in something below 1.30 on the GBPUSD (not sure exactly how the Canadian dollar is doing though). Good time to move to the United Kingdom!

ReputationRep:
    What team do you guys cheer for? I'm thinking of paying now because I'm worried the Canadian dollar will drop. It's not been strong.

ReputationRep:
    For the first time, it doesn't shame me to admit that I'm a Florida Panther fan!

As for exchange rates, I don't quite get a choice, as I'm coming in on loans.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to be ashamed of as a panther's fan you could be an oilers fan.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to be ashamed of as a panther's fan you could be an oilers fan.
    Can't think of anything more painful than being an Oilers fan. Half of it is bad luck. The other half is laughable management.

I wonder what the presence of hockey is like in the UK? And even more specifically, Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrtheedge7)
    Can't think of anything more painful than being an Oilers fan. Half of it is bad luck. The other half is laughable management.

I wonder what the presence of hockey is like in the UK? And even more specifically, Leicester.
    I'm a Canucks fan (being from BC and all), but secretly still cheer for the Montreal Canadians. I once went to an oiler vs Canadian game in Edmonton and more than half the arena was red....it was embarrassing for the oilers.

I've heard the Canadian law society has a hockey team at Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    What team do you guys cheer for? I'm thinking of paying now because I'm worried the Canadian dollar will drop. It's not been strong.
    I check the CAD to pound everyday, and just in the last 3 days, the pound has grown weaker and weaker. I might wait it out a bit longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix.patronus)
    I'm a Canucks fan (being from BC and all), but secretly still cheer for the Montreal Canadians. I once went to an oiler vs Canadian game in Edmonton and more than half the arena was red....it was embarrassing for the oilers.

I've heard the Canadian law society has a hockey team at Leicester.
    I think the Habs fans tend to do this almost everywhere they go. In Florida, it gets worse than 50-50 whenever the Panthers are terrible. We have tons of bandwagoners in Florida for all of our sports though.

There's enough of a presence of Canadians to have a Canadian law society, and a hockey team? Who/where do they play? Excuse my ignorance, I've had a rather difficult time networking with anyone at all at Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    There is a Canadian law society and it does have a strong presence since there are alot of Canadian Law Students in Leicester, especially the 2 year program. However, being a second year student, I have not heard of there being a Canadian hockey team in Leicester. I did, however, heard from a professor that people can go to ice rink in Nottingham which is like an hour drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrtheedge7)
    I think the Habs fans tend to do this almost everywhere they go. In Florida, it gets worse than 50-50 whenever the Panthers are terrible. We have tons of bandwagoners in Florida for all of our sports though.

There's enough of a presence of Canadians to have a Canadian law society, and a hockey team? Who/where do they play? Excuse my ignorance, I've had a rather difficult time networking with anyone at all at Leicester.

Gars is right. I just remembered hearing from past students that a lot of Canadian students get together and go to Nottingham on some weekends to play hockey.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'll bring my skates.

Though, I havent played ice hockey in years. We are more often roller folk in Florida.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.