Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Make London a Murdoch press free zone (and daily mail) Watch

ReputationRep:
    These papers told a pack of lies to get us out of the EU.
    Now we are facing mass unemployment, crashing pound values.

Be like Liverpool, boycott these papers in the London area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    These papers told a pack of lies to get us out of the EU.
    Now we are facing mass unemployment, crashing pound values.

Be like Liverpool, boycott these papers in the London area.
    The notion of free speech is that independent media outlets should be allowed to publish content that suffices its audience, whether that be by manipulation or otherwise. You can't just ban a newspaper because it doesn't conform to an idealistic political agenda because that puts you into the same category as fascism and totalitarianism. Although I'm a Conservative, I stay away from the Daily Mail as I agree many of its stories are sensationalist drivel, but to advocate against the freedom of the press is going against the pillars of free western democracy.

On the issue of leaving the European Union, there is no data to suggest that Britons are facing 'mass unemployment'. Although I accept the British economy is going to experience a few years of economic stagnation, the consequences of Britain's leaving the European Union won't have the same economic implications as the recession did in 2008, which saw 2.6 million jobs lost. The biggest sector which will face unemployment is the financial sector in London, especially amongst big transnational corporations. However, for other industries, like in technology, there might be even more employment opportunities for the future.

The current value of the pound is $1.33 against the pound. Although that is significantly lower than it was a few weeks ago, it isn't "crashing". The devaluing of the pound might lead to a period of prolonged inflation, but unless it reaches levels of $1 against the pound, the economic implications of devaluation inefficiencies won't be enough to an economic recession on currency alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    The current value of the pound is $1.33 against the pound. .
    NO idea what you're talking about - I guess you must be a brexit voter.

ReputationRep:
    NO idea what you're talking about - I guess you must be a brexit voter.
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 33
Size:  34.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    The notion of free speech is that independent media outlets should be allowed to publish content that suffices its audience, whether that be by manipulation or otherwise. You can't just ban a newspaper because it doesn't conform to an idealistic political agenda because that puts you into the same category as fascism and totalitarianism. Although I'm a Conservative, I stay away from the Daily Mail as I agree many of its stories are sensationalist drivel, but to advocate against the freedom of the press is going against the pillars of free western democracy.

On the issue of leaving the European Union, there is no data to suggest that Britons are facing 'mass unemployment'. Although I accept the British economy is going to experience a few years of economic stagnation, the consequences of Britain's leaving the European Union won't have the same economic implications as the recession did in 2008, which saw 2.6 million jobs lost. The biggest sector which will face unemployment is the financial sector in London, especially amongst big transnational corporations. However, for other industries, like in technology, there might be even more employment opportunities for the future.

The current value of the pound is $1.33 against the pound. Although that is significantly lower than it was a few weeks ago, it isn't "crashing". The devaluing of the pound might lead to a period of prolonged inflation, but unless it reaches levels of $1 against the pound, the economic implications of devaluation inefficiencies won't be enough to an economic recession on currency alone.
    A boycott isn't a ban.

People are free to stock the Sun in Liverpool if they wish but they don't because nobody will buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    A boycott isn't a ban.

People are free to stock the Sun in Liverpool if they wish but they don't because nobody will buy it.
    People don't buy The Sun in Liverpool because of their reporting the Hillsborough Disaster in 1989. To try and suggest the death of 96 people in a police cover-up is the same as Britain leaving the EU is a false equivalency. To be honest, though, I doubt many people in London buy Tory newspapers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    A boycott isn't a ban.

exactly - why buy something that wishes you harm?

ReputationRep:
    exactly - why buy something that wishes you harm?
    As above the two situations can't really be compared. People who hold these views likely don't buy those gutter papers anyway so it would be fruitless.

I'm repeating myself from other threads here but there should be a debate on banishing Boris from the capital since he's betrayed his former constituents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.