Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you being cheated? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    See the link below.

Some universities are not teaching for the period after Easter, including many perceived top unis, in particular Warwick and UCL.

Opinions and experiences please.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egwe...254507,00.html

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible! Im not paying 10,500 a year so that they could tell me to learn the stuff on my own!! Someone please tell us about your experiences!

ReputationRep:
    Essex did that as well. After Easter, it was classes a 'revision period', which of course everyone did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Essex did that as well. After Easter, it was classes a 'revision period', which of course everyone did.
    Same with us, we had two weeks of revision lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    See the link below.

Some universities are not teaching for the period after Easter, including many perceived top unis, in particular Warwick and UCL.

Again, not a new phenomenon.

Given that straight after Easter you usually have exams, sometimes preceeded by a 3-4 weeks of study/revision time.

No different to A-Levels really...

I don't hear anyone complaining about the long university holidays - may be you should demand teaching then too -
    This is terrible! Im not paying 10,500 a year so that they could tell me to learn the stuff on my own!! Someone please tell us about your experiences!

ReputationRep:
    Uni is about independent study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    See the link below.

UCL do state it in their prospectus, they obviously just overlooked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Uni is about independent study
    Sure, but we all need a little guidance to push us in the right direction.

I presume universities rarely offer drop-in revision sessions, as with college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)

We don't have anything like that. We're not Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    We do!

ReputationRep:
    I had no lectures after Easter at all this year - though my uni broke up about 2 weeks after most uni's, so went back 2 weeks later (it was May by the time I went back). However I've had two 12 week terms before the exam period (which was 5 weeks and then a week at the end for all the Summer Balls and stuff) so in that is at least 20 weeks of teaching time, and I've had 20 hours a week in each of thise weeks, which is more than when I was doing A levels. So I don't feel cheated.

ReputationRep:
    my lessons went right up until the exam period. I finnished lectures on the13th of May and my exams started on the 17th. Although i know some departments that pretty much finnished teaching during the first couple of weeks in the summer term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    We don't have anything like that. We're not Americans.

.....we don't have that either. (An American speaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    See the link below.

Well I know at 6th form and college we don't have to pay for our education but they do exactly the same thing there, after and even before easter in exam years, which every year at uni is. Can you remember having any proper lessons after easter at 6th form or college before easter, or were they all "revision lessons", it is the typical thing whatever institution you maybe at...not to say that its not fair though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)

All of my lectures after Easter were voluntary revision lectures - we emailed the lecturer with questions in advance and then they'd talk through them for an hour. It would have worked better if people on my course weren't so lazy, for example, a lot of them asked for an entire lecture to be repeated (because they either didn't turn up or didn't pay attention).

ReputationRep:
    sweet, more time to party.

ReputationRep:
    Our Week 12 was for revision lectures/tutorials/self-study, but there wasn't an allocated "Reading Week" simply because of the fact that the majority of reading should have been done over Easter vacation (bad assumption by lecturers but still...)

This year:

Start of Spring Semester:

9 Weeks of Teaching (Weeks 1-9)
    3 Weeks Easter
    3 Weeks of Teaching (Weeks 10-12)
    3 Weeks of Exams (Weeks 13-15)

Next year is different for us because of the position of Easter, and likely to be the same with most other institutions:

Start of Spring Semester

6 Weeks Teaching (Wks 1-6)
    3 Weeks Easter
    6 Weeks Teaching (Wks 7-12)
    3 Weeks Exams (Wks 13-15)

So it is likely that a Reading Week will feature some where, with revision lectures scheduled and office hours published for drop in assistance from tutors/lecturers. Alot of assistance can be gained just by dropping someone an email though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    See the link below.

perceived??! UCL graduate here

i didnt find it a problem. we had revision lessons in that last semester and the rest of the time was taken up with revising...this cant be done by lecturers, only by yourself.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.