Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what I can do outside of school to build a profile in the music industry as I didn't pick music at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    You could learn an instrument and take exams in those in addition to the theory tests on offer. Forming a band, performing solo at different venues or joining a choir, for example, could also help as it shows an active interest in music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Compose and expose it to the internet. Take constructive criticism. Although also if you know an instrument performing in a school orchestra or band can boost confidence and give you experience on your CV etc.. I personally play lead piano in the school's swing band. You can also try to build a following on Youtube. Depending on whether you want to be a singer or a musician or both, doing covers is a good way to start to display your skill. Also listen to a range of music (even stuff you don't like) because sometimes that can give you ideas for composing, and having a wide range of musical knowledge can always help in industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    Compose and expose it to the internet. Take constructive criticism. Although also if you know an instrument performing in a school orchestra or band can boost confidence and give you experience on your CV etc.. I personally play lead piano in the school's swing band. You can also try to build a following on Youtube. Depending on whether you want to be a singer or a musician or both, doing covers is a good way to start to display your skill. Also listen to a range of music (even stuff you don't like) because sometimes that can give you ideas for composing, and having a wide range of musical knowledge can always help in industry.
    So if I was to make covers and remixes etc, other than YouTube, do you know any websites I could post it on to get noticed or any companies I could send it to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aman7)
    So if I was to make covers and remixes etc, other than YouTube, do you know any websites I could post it on to get noticed or any companies I could send it to?
    I'm afraid I don't know you could always try a google search or even giving a sample CD to one of your favourite artists especially if you cover one of their songs on your sample and at least one original work. But you can still get success on YouTube If you've never heard of a guy called Kyle Landry he started on YouTube doing piano covers of popular songs and then some of his own compositions and now he has at least one CD out if not more. YouTube can be a perfectly valid way of getting yourself noticed.
    Do you mind me asking what type of music you are interested in covering/ writing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    I'm afraid I don't know you could always try a google search or even giving a sample CD to one of your favourite artists especially if you cover one of their songs on your sample and at least one original work. But you can still get success on YouTube If you've never heard of a guy called Kyle Landry he started on YouTube doing piano covers of popular songs and then some of his own compositions and now he has at least one CD out if not more. YouTube can be a perfectly valid way of getting yourself noticed.
    Do you mind me asking what type of music you are interested in covering/ writing?
    I guess I will try that out then and I cover all types!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.