Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all -
    This may be a little long winded but I'm trying to get as much relevant information as possible.

I am currently finishing my non-law degree, and heading into my 3rd year in September 2016. But wanting to get into law.

I've been emailing and ringing around asking for work experience over this summer, but I'm just wondering when I should apply for vacation schemes, GDL and training contracts?

If anyone knows, or has done this and can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    This is a useful guide
    http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/Law-car...-January-2016/

Print it off it tells you most of what you need to know.

This shows the timetable
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/CareerPath

I think its this summer and 3rd year when you apply for work experience and TCS for non law grads. I think they would be accepting TC applications now, but if you have no work experience then you are a bit behind. If you get them to offer you a TC, then good firms will pay for your GDL and LPC.

Work experience at least in the larger firms can often be a bit more formal with organised vacation schemes that can be very competitive to get on. You might have more chance ringing around for informal work, ar smaller firms but it depends what you are aiming for. You need to start doing some research inot what sort of frims interest you and where you stand a chance of getting in. Think very carefully before you finance yourself as it is very competitive. I wouldnt make applications until I knew I was making a good one.

JSP will give you some sensible advice if he is around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cvictoria94)
    Hi all -
    This may be a little long winded but I'm trying to get as much relevant information as possible.

I am currently finishing my non-law degree, and heading into my 3rd year in September 2016. But wanting to get into law.

I've been emailing and ringing around asking for work experience over this summer, but I'm just wondering when I should apply for vacation schemes, GDL and training contracts?

If anyone knows, or has done this and can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!
    As you already probably know, there are special vacation schemes and non-law graduate training contracts. What they are looking for usually is a genuine interest in law and an excellent academic record. Apply to as many as you can - it's all about chances and probabilities. If you get rejected, think nothing of it and apply for another scheme in the same company. They are very selective so prepare for an intense competition and thrive in it.

Then go for GDL and try to fill each vacation with an internship vacancy and, hopefully a training contract,

ReputationRep:
    You can approach smaller firms at any point to try and gain some work experience. Try to always find out the name of the person you should be emailing, include your CV, interests and dates of availability. A lot won't get back to you or won't be able to offer you anything, but if you're persistent and polite, you're bound to find someone who can take you on for a few days or a week.

You can apply for vacation schemes and training contracts in the final year of your non-law degree. This is because most larger firms recruit 2 years in advance so need to give time for you to complete your GDL and LPC. Having some other work experience would really help with these kinds of applications.

Also look at what extra curriculars you have and see if you can fit some volunteering or part time work in. Most people are able to approach their local CAB offices for some good volunteering experience, or alternatively you could look at volunteering for any other charity. Just always try to look for positions of responsibility you have or can take on and what skills you can learn and develop - these kinds of questions are often asked during the application/interview process for VS and TCs.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.