Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    In school I was really lazy and did not understand the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs, therefore left with really bad GCSE grades:
    English C
    Maths E
    Btec science Pass
    Btec sport pass
    Btec IT pass
    RE D

However, after taking a year out and resitting my maths GCSE, I gained a grade C

Currently I am doing a Btec extended diploma in engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* (Distinctions in both maths units). Also I am doing extra curricular activities such as summer schools etc, additionally I am also doing the Epq to help write a strong personal statement.

My question is would universites such as Nottingham, Aston or Birmingham accept me even though I don't have a strong set of GCSE but do however have the minimum requirements (eng&maths)??? I want to do Mechanical engineering😊

ReputationRep:
    I think that A Level (or equivalent e.g. your BTEC) grades are more important than GCSE, and you have the basic GCSE requirements for uni if they're Cs. It's definitely worth applying given that you're predicted strong results in your BTEC (however I don't know how unis tend to view BTEC diplomas in comparison to A Levels).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azizul98)
    Hi,
    In school I was really lazy and did not understand the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs, therefore left with really bad GCSE grades:
    English C
    Maths E
    Btec science Pass
    Btec sport pass
    Btec IT pass
    RE D

However, after taking a year out and resitting my maths GCSE, I gained a grade C

Currently I am doing a Btec extended diploma in engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* (Distinctions in both maths units). Also I am doing extra curricular activities such as summer schools etc, additionally I am also doing the Epq to help write a strong personal statement.

My question is would universites such as Nottingham, Aston or Birmingham accept me even though I don't have a strong set of GCSE but do however have the minimum requirements (eng&maths)??? I want to do Mechanical engineering😊
    As long as your predicted grades for A-level meet the entry requirments and your personal statement is decent then you'll get an offer. Engineering isn't particularly competitive so I can't see them rejecting you over your gcse grades. If you're worried then you could email the admissions people and then they'll tell you if it would be worth you applying

ReputationRep:
    Minimum requirement is a B for English Lan / Maths

Aim for that and then it is possible. However, I know someone who got an offer with a C grade, but had okayish a level predictions.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.