The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aimée123
Hey everyone, I'm new here, just wondered what people's thought were on this? :smile:

My advice would be to look at which course you would prefer to study. Both courses offer a mixture of human and physical geography but they are still different within those areas. If you don't have a preference for either course then simply choose whichever place you prefer. Personally, I chose Oxford for geography as I preferred it as a place over Cambridge and I think the course content is more interesting.
Reply 2
Veedy
My advice would be to look at which course you would prefer to study. Both courses offer a mixture of human and physical geography but they are still different within those areas. If you don't have a preference for either course then simply choose whichever place you prefer. Personally, I chose Oxford for geography as I preferred it as a place over Cambridge and I think the course content is more interesting.

Ok thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. Can I ask which other places you applied to for Geography? And did you find it was quite competitive? Aimeé
Reply 3
Aimée123
Ok thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. Can I ask which other places you applied to for Geography? And did you find it was quite competitive? Aimeé

I applied to Durham, UCL, Manchester, Birmngham and LSE as well. You can PM me if you want to ask anything else.
Reply 4
I applied to Cam because it's rated higher than Oxford for Geography by The Times and I liked the course and the place better. Plus 3 of my friends were applying to Oxford for Geography and I thought that if we all got in (we did) that would be overkill :smile:. Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it :tongue:.

In addition to Cambridge, I applied to
Durham
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Sheffield
Southampton
(No London ones because I live here and I didn't like Bristol).
Reply 5
katiyakat
I applied to Cam because it's rated higher than Oxford for Geography by The Times and I liked the course and the place better. Plus 3 of my friends were applying to Oxford for Geography and I thought that if we all got in (we did) that would be overkill :smile:. Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it :tongue:.

In addition to Cambridge, I applied to
Durham
Edniburgh
Nottingham
Sheffield
Southampton
(No London ones because I live here and I didn't like Bristol).

Cool, which college did you apply to? And what's your insurance?
Reply 6
Aimée123
Cool, which college did you apply to? And what's your insurance?

I applied to Jesus College (I wouldn't recommend applying there - PM me if you want to know why), didn't get in but was pooled and then offered a place by Newnham. Deciding whether to take it the Newnham offer was the hardest decision I've ever made! My insurance is University College, Durham :smile:.
Reply 7
katiyakat
Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it :tongue:.

Have you seen the new Oxford geography department building ?
Reply 8
Nope! Just the old one at the Geography open day last year. What's the new one like?
Reply 9
katiyakat
Nope! Just the old one at the Geography open day last year. What's the new one like?

They're using it from this October, its the closest glass building to Keble college. Looks very nice imho.
Reply 10
Ah right okay - scrap that one from my list of reasons then!
Reply 11
Aimée123
Hey everyone, I'm new here, just wondered what people's thought were on this? :smile:

Durham - its the best in europe for geography
Reply 12
Zeitgeist
Durham

I like this, I like it a lot. Question: Which is better for Geog, Ox or Cam. Answer: Durham. There's creative thinking if ever I saw it.
Reply 13
H&E
I like this, I like it a lot. Question: Which is better for Geog, Ox or Cam. Answer: Durham. There's creative thinking if ever I saw it.

lol :biggrin:
Reply 14
H&E

you have to learn to think outside the box :wink:
Reply 15
Zeitgeist
you have to learn to think outside the box :wink:

Given that you are so enamoured with your own future university that you seek to promote it on a sub-forum specifically dedicated to two other institutions, to the point where when faced with an "A or B" question you answer "C", and that you feel able to conclusively state that not only is C better than A or B, but better than any other institution in Europe, I think one could argue it is you who is struggling to limit his parochial instincts.
Aimée123

Cambridge has a higher research rating than Oxford. Just to let you know...
Reply 17
Arguably the greatest geographer in the world (Andrew Goudie) is at Oxford.......
Reply 18
Whilst it certainly has the two most famous; Goudie and Nick Middleton (of Going To/Surviving Extremes fame on channel 4)
Cambridge.

(An Oxford geographer speaking).

Latest

Trending

Trending