Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm new here, just wondered what people's thought were on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    My advice would be to look at which course you would prefer to study. Both courses offer a mixture of human and physical geography but they are still different within those areas. If you don't have a preference for either course then simply choose whichever place you prefer. Personally, I chose Oxford for geography as I preferred it as a place over Cambridge and I think the course content is more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    My advice would be to look at which course you would prefer to study. Both courses offer a mixture of human and physical geography but they are still different within those areas. If you don't have a preference for either course then simply choose whichever place you prefer. Personally, I chose Oxford for geography as I preferred it as a place over Cambridge and I think the course content is more interesting.
    Ok thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. Can I ask which other places you applied to for Geography? And did you find it was quite competitive? Aimeé

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. Can I ask which other places you applied to for Geography? And did you find it was quite competitive? Aimeé
    I applied to Durham, UCL, Manchester, Birmngham and LSE as well. You can PM me if you want to ask anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Cam because it's rated higher than Oxford for Geography by The Times and I liked the course and the place better. Plus 3 of my friends were applying to Oxford for Geography and I thought that if we all got in (we did) that would be overkill . Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it .

In addition to Cambridge, I applied to
    Durham
    Edinburgh
    Nottingham
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    (No London ones because I live here and I didn't like Bristol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    I applied to Cam because it's rated higher than Oxford for Geography by The Times and I liked the course and the place better. Plus 3 of my friends were applying to Oxford for Geography and I thought that if we all got in (we did) that would be overkill . Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it .

In addition to Cambridge, I applied to
    Durham
    Edniburgh
    Nottingham
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    (No London ones because I live here and I didn't like Bristol).
    Cool, which college did you apply to? And what's your insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, which college did you apply to? And what's your insurance?
    I applied to Jesus College (I wouldn't recommend applying there - PM me if you want to know why), didn't get in but was pooled and then offered a place by Newnham. Deciding whether to take it the Newnham offer was the hardest decision I've ever made! My insurance is University College, Durham .

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Cambridge's Geography department doesn't look like it would fall over if you pushed it .
    Have you seen the new Oxford geography department building ?

ReputationRep:
    Nope! Just the old one at the Geography open day last year. What's the new one like?

ReputationRep:
    Nope! Just the old one at the Geography open day last year. What's the new one like?
    They're using it from this October, its the closest glass building to Keble college. Looks very nice imho.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay - scrap that one from my list of reasons then!

ReputationRep:
    Durham - its the best in europe for geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    Durham
    I like this, I like it a lot. Question: Which is better for Geog, Ox or Cam. Answer: Durham. There's creative thinking if ever I saw it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I like this, I like it a lot. Question: Which is better for Geog, Ox or Cam. Answer: Durham. There's creative thinking if ever I saw it.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    you have to learn to think outside the box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    you have to learn to think outside the box
    Given that you are so enamoured with your own future university that you seek to promote it on a sub-forum specifically dedicated to two other institutions, to the point where when faced with an "A or B" question you answer "C", and that you feel able to conclusively state that not only is C better than A or B, but better than any other institution in Europe, I think one could argue it is you who is struggling to limit his parochial instincts.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge has a higher research rating than Oxford. Just to let you know...

ReputationRep:
    Arguably the greatest geographer in the world (Andrew Goudie) is at Oxford.......

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it certainly has the two most famous; Goudie and Nick Middleton (of Going To/Surviving Extremes fame on channel 4)

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge.

(An Oxford geographer speaking).

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.