Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Sorry it is just that every Oxford student seems to claim that somehow Cambridge's academic strength comes from everyone having no life. That might be the case at Christ's, but I can guarantee you that this is not true at Trinity. I was at the bar 6-7 nights a week in exam term, as were most my friends. If this is having zero personality and no social life, it is suprisingly entertaining nonetheless.

I'm sorry if I have come across strongly. I admit that Oxford has better DJs and more nightclubs (as you would expect in a bigger city), but this does not mean that we sacrifice our nightlife. To me having a big name DJ is unimportant, what is important is having fun with friends, I think I have that as often as most Oxford students. Obviously if big clubs and big name DJs are important to you Cambridge can't provide it, but saying you can't have a good time at our pubs and clubs is completely untrue (not that you every claimed anything so extreme).
    I do agree that the most important aspect is the friends that you make and the people you meet there.

I suppose the clubs in the centre of Oxford and so on are extra highlights, which sways my view that Oxford is a more lively place than Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Sorry it is just that every Oxford student seems to claim that somehow Cambridge's academic strength comes from everyone having no life. That might be the case at Christ's, but I can guarantee you that this is not true at Trinity.
    Although it isn't quite right to pass the geek image from everyone at Cambridge to just the people at Christ's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Although it isn't quite right to pass the geek image from everyone at Cambridge to just the people at Christ's.
    All too true, and I admit that by raising that I was getting into the grounds of pots and black kettles. I have a very close friend at Christ's who does not fit the hard working with no social life image. I just chose the college as I only know one person there, and therefore it was an easy one to pin the 'zero social life' image on, even though I think it would be out of place in Christ's too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    All too true, and I admit that by raising that I was getting into the grounds of pots and black kettles. I have a very close friend at Christ's who does not fit the hard working with no social life image. I just chose the college as I only know one person there, and therefore it was an easy one to pin the 'zero social life' image on, even though I think it would be out of place in Christ's too.
    I understand...'tis easy to just try and shift the blame on someone else. But maybe we can see why so many Oxonians feel the tendency to label Tabs as nerds because they generally score higher on teaching/research/student assessments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I do agree that the most important aspect is the friends that you make and the people you meet there.

I suppose the clubs in the centre of Oxford and so on are extra highlights, which sways my view that Oxford is a more lively place than Cambridge.
    According to our resident club columnist on the forum (and several other people that I've spoken to) - the clubs in Oxford aren't that great.

Yes - it is meant to have a more lively club scene than Cambridge, but then that isn't particularly hard. It's not exactly 'club mecca' by anyrate.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.