kprime2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
solutions to the IAL F3 edexcel.

I thought this was a tricky paper. Much tougher than the joke of a paper the UK lots had.

2b might have caused some problems
Attached files
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kprime2)

I thought this was a tricky paper. Much tougher than the joke of a paper the UK lots had.

Really? I thought it was about as easy as the UK paper. FWIW, the end of Q3(b) could be simplified by noticing that arsinh was an odd function so you had \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2}) as your answer (which is equivalent to yours, just neater).

Our matrix question was easier than it usually is, no fancy transformations or anything, so was the vectors, the integration reduction was a joke for 9 marks.

Thanks for the solutions, looks like I have full raw.
kprime2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Really? I thought it was about as easy as the UK paper. FWIW, the end of Q3(b) could be simplified by noticing that arsinh was an odd function so you had \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2}) as your answer (which is equivalent to yours, just neater).

Our matrix question was easier than it usually is, no fancy transformations or anything, so was the vectors, the integration reduction was a joke for 9 marks.

Thanks for the solutions, looks like I have full raw.
I think the UK paper only had one tricky question which I struggled with myself. This was question 7a, reduction formula for sin(nx)/sinx. The IAL still had parts where students could have made mistakes. The integration by substitution was quite tedious.

Well done on the full raw
Ayman!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
\text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2})
Nice - I did this as well!

(Original post by kprime2)

PRSOM. I can't remember my answers at all, so no predictions. Looks like I should have 90 UMS at the very least, which is good enough for me!

A few were saying that it was easy which made me a little concerned about boundaries haha
kprime2
Rep:
?
\text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2})
I used the formula in the booklet.
{arsinh}(x) = \ln(x+\sqrt{x^2 +1})
AlexFrangos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you think 73/75 will be full ums? Also in 2b i used a method with determinants. This method specifically: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/Th...gADeterminant/.
Can you use methods that are not taught in the a level syllabus?
Ayman!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexFrangos)
Do you think 73/75 will be full ums? Also in 2b i used a method with determinants. This method specifically: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/Th...gADeterminant/.
Can you use methods that are not taught in the a level syllabus?
I used that method as well. It's acceptable since many IAL students use it. I've seen F1 mark schemes using it as an alternative.
AlexFrangos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ayman!)
I used that method as well. It's acceptable since many IAL students use it. I've seen F1 mark schemes using it as an alternative.
And do you think 73/75 will be full ums?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19