Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    solutions to the IAL F3 edexcel.

I thought this was a tricky paper. Much tougher than the joke of a paper the UK lots had.

2b might have caused some problems
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F3 IAL S16.pdf (959.0 KB, 157 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kprime2)

I thought this was a tricky paper. Much tougher than the joke of a paper the UK lots had.

Really? I thought it was about as easy as the UK paper. FWIW, the end of Q3(b) could be simplified by noticing that arsinh was an odd function so you had \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2}) as your answer (which is equivalent to yours, just neater).

Our matrix question was easier than it usually is, no fancy transformations or anything, so was the vectors, the integration reduction was a joke for 9 marks.

Thanks for the solutions, looks like I have full raw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Really? I thought it was about as easy as the UK paper. FWIW, the end of Q3(b) could be simplified by noticing that arsinh was an odd function so you had \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2}) as your answer (which is equivalent to yours, just neater).

Our matrix question was easier than it usually is, no fancy transformations or anything, so was the vectors, the integration reduction was a joke for 9 marks.

Thanks for the solutions, looks like I have full raw.
    I think the UK paper only had one tricky question which I struggled with myself. This was question 7a, reduction formula for sin(nx)/sinx. The IAL still had parts where students could have made mistakes. The integration by substitution was quite tedious.

Well done on the full raw

ReputationRep:
    \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2})
    Nice - I did this as well!

(Original post by kprime2)

PRSOM. I can't remember my answers at all, so no predictions. Looks like I should have 90 UMS at the very least, which is good enough for me!

A few were saying that it was easy which made me a little concerned about boundaries haha

ReputationRep:
    \text{arshinh}(1) = \ln(1+\sqrt{2})
    I used the formula in the booklet.
    {arsinh}(x) = \ln(x+\sqrt{x^2 +1})

ReputationRep:
    Do you think 73/75 will be full ums? Also in 2b i used a method with determinants. This method specifically: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/Th...gADeterminant/.
    Can you use methods that are not taught in the a level syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFrangos)
    Do you think 73/75 will be full ums? Also in 2b i used a method with determinants. This method specifically: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/Th...gADeterminant/.
    Can you use methods that are not taught in the a level syllabus?
    I used that method as well. It's acceptable since many IAL students use it. I've seen F1 mark schemes using it as an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    I used that method as well. It's acceptable since many IAL students use it. I've seen F1 mark schemes using it as an alternative.
    And do you think 73/75 will be full ums?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.