The Student Room Group

Which subjects should I choose for A-level? Politics or..?

Hi everyone
I'm going to start my AS in September and I've already choose some of my subjects (Psychology, French and Math) BUT I don't know whether I should take Politics or History of Art as a fourth subject. I heard psychology is pretty hard but I've read many books about it so I am enough confident and French is my second language so is not going to be a problem. I know that for psychology I'll have to write a lot of essays and so for both Politics and Art history. My mum think that politics would be easier however I'm planning to study History of Art at uni but I heard is one of the hardest subjects at A-level and maybe is not a good idea as I took a lot of essay-based subjects... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Reply 1
Politics is more respected, it's enjoyable and gives you knowledge. Had you just said History, I would've recommended that but in this case I think politics will be more beneficial
Last year I choose politics thinking it'd be an easy choice when it came to pick what to drop, but I actually enjoyed it more than most of my other subjects. I think it's relatively easy if you're good at writing essays and remembering key facts and figures. I didn't do history of art so I can't compare it, but i'd advise you to take politics as it's soo interesting.
I took politics all the way to A2 and managed an A. So long as you have a solid essay writing style and prepared to read around the subject-i.e. politics reviews and annual politics books you should be fine. At first I hated politics because I didn't really understand the concepts but once you get the hang of it its great fun to have classroom discussions. What I would say to improve your grades is nearer to the time of the exams send your teacher essays that he hasn't set and get him/her to mark them with detailed comments. Also ask them to break down your marks as it is written on the markscheme to see where you've gone wrong. Best of luck! -Take politics :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending