Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

As someone with high anxiety levels going into Uni... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm essentially bricking it about starting. I'm excited to get back into education and to experience uni life, but over the past couple year my anxiety has gotten a lot worse, and I'm very nervous to start uni in September.

First of all I haven't even been to the uni I'm attending, has anyone else done this? Essentially going into their uni without having gone to any open days? I know a few people I know have but was wondering if anyone else had.

I just don't know what to expect at all going there or what to take with me, any advice from anyone else who has suffered from anxiety before starting uni? I feel I can't even enjoy this summer because of how worried I am about starting!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by EdWoodcock28)
    I'm essentially bricking it about starting. I'm excited to get back into education and to experience uni life, but over the past couple year my anxiety has gotten a lot worse, and I'm very nervous to start uni in September.

First of all I haven't even been to the uni I'm attending, has anyone else done this? Essentially going into their uni without having gone to any open days? I know a few people I know have but was wondering if anyone else had.

I just don't know what to expect at all going there or what to take with me, any advice from anyone else who has suffered from anxiety before starting uni? I feel I can't even enjoy this summer because of how worried I am about starting!
    Heya, sorry to see that you have not had any replies to this. I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you, but don't be put off by the name of the section - it might even be better for getting replies here, to find someone who has gone through something similar.

Going to a uni without having been to an open day is risky, but it could pay off as long as you are happy there.

Try to find out as much as you can beforehand, perhaps the uni website is a good place to start. There should be a checklist of things you need to do before you arrive, things you need to do as you arrive, things you need to do after etc, what to bring, lots of things like that. Hopefully knowing that puts you more at ease.

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I've just finished my first year of university and suffer from anxiety myself. For me the whole process of waiting for uni to start to the first few weeks as simply of having a mindset of "just do it". Everyone's nervous when starting uni to one degree or another, so the pretty standard bit of advice to remember is that you are not alone in your feelings. Do your up-most to get stuck in and engage with others, and you'll be better off for it.

The uni I went to had freshers chat groups set up on Facebook, so I advise having a look for those; you can make some pretty good friends by getting to each other before term starts. Try not to let the anxiety control you. Do what you want with your time at uni, especially in the opening weeks, but make sure you put effort into forming friendships.

I know you can do it.

ReputationRep:

Hi! Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this, but I can promise that you are NOT alone! I have suffered with extreme levels of anxiety over the past three years (since I started A Levels essentially - I stayed behind a year) and they've only been getting worse recently. I can't comment on the fact that you haven't visited your firm uni because I went to an open day, but I know plenty of people who haven't looked at theirs yet! It might be worth emailing them to ask if you can speak to someone from their student support services? I had a meeting with my uni a few months ago and it was honestly amazing! They've put things in place all ready because of my anxiety and it has helped me to feel so much more confident about going! Also, I went to my GP (who knows about other issues I've faced) but talked purely about anxiety and uni etc and I found that talk really helpful to have, so that might be something to consider? You can always PM me if you want, I don't want to overload you here though!

ReputationRep:

Great to hear you're excited! Just as one of the other replies said, the 'just do it' attitude is so so so helpful. I've just finished first year and I hadn't been to the open day for my uni. I didn't know anyone that was going and the uni is 3 hours away from home town so I massively sympathise with your nerves!

Staying in halls is great because everyones in the same boat - everyone feels awkward as hell, but nobody wants to be left out so I found I was never left lone as long as I found a group to stick with! I suffer from social anxiety so finding people to cushion me in situations like that is really important. Once you've found your group and feel more comfortable its much easier to branch out and find new friends. If you're not in halls don't worry about it, best advice is to find a club to join. I just chose one so that I didn't overwhelm myself and couldn't talk myself out of going. Sports are particularly good!

Its difficult to say what to expect because every uni experience is different which made me really nervous in the weeks leading up to moving out. But I can't stress enough how important it is to find a good social group who will all be having the same feelings as you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

I went to my uni without going to an open day there and I love it. Obviously it is risky but it did work out in my case and fingers crossed it will for you as well. To an extent, Open Days only show the university in the light that they want to be seen in - they're only going to have student reps who like it there and will 'sell' the university, so don't worry too much about not visiting prior

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.