Occupational Therapy without University?

Watch
chloebiggin1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just finished GCSE's and are hoping to go to college in September to study Psychology, Sociology and Photography. I want to do Occupational Therapy however I don't want to go to University, does anyone know if i would be able to do Occupational Therapy through an apprenticeship or traineship? Thank you!
Freddyt58
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am afraid that Occupation therapy is a professional course, so you need a registration from the Collage of Occupational Therapists to practice in the UK and all other countries. The "pin" or registration can only be applied for with a Degree in Occupational Therapy. You can be an Assistant or an Occupational Therapy Technician without a degree, but to become an actual Therapist requires a Degree.
Occupation 25
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes you will need a bsc or msc degree in occupational therapy to legally practice in the uk. Before the 1990s it use to be a dimploma.

However another way is through an apprenticeship. You could gain experience as a therapy assistant and in some nhs trusts your employer, if they think you have the ability, may put you into an apprenticeship program where you learn the trade of how to be an OT. This programme is mainly practical, but you will need to attend lectures in university, although it may not be as rigorous as a degree. The reason is that you need to learn the OT theory and principles.
The only thing that separates a qualified OT from a therapy assistant is that theoretical knowledge, the ability to think critically, clinical reasoning to support interventions, and the ability to use research to supplement interventions.
These are the things a degree or diploma in OT will equip you.
However, a degree is the faster way in. 3 years of study and you are qualified.

Apprenticeship take longer. But you will be paid more while you learn.

Taking a degree as a student OT, your bank account is always empty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (62)
17.97%
No one else does (111)
32.17%
I'm embarrassed about my background (36)
10.43%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (115)
33.33%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.74%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
2.03%

Watched Threads