The Student Room Group

Abingdon council rejects rainbow Pride flag.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-36697906

Campaigners said they were "shocked and appalled" at a council's refusal to fly a rainbow flag for a Pride event.Abingdon-on-Thames Town Council voted against the motion to fly the flag from the town's county hall next June in support of Oxford Pride.Oxford Pride chairman Robert Jordan accused the council of "backward" thinking and said it showed inequality.

Signatory John Barry, from Birmingham, said: "The town should be more concerned about the message that not flying the flag would send out."Mark Holton, from Swindon, said: "By not flying the flag it suggests it's ok in Oxfordshire to be homophobic."

Scroll to see replies

Promoting Homosexuality is Cultural Marxism.

I don't hate Gay's, but why they gotta promote it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Only thing it does, is to lower birthrates even lower than they already are in this country.
Original post by TheCryingRemain

I don't hate Gay's, but why they gotta promote it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Only thing it does, is to lower birthrates even lower than they already are in this country.

How is putting up the flag promoting it exactly?

Sometimes my council puts up flags of other countries on their independence days, that's not really promoting the countries is it?

……………no I can't even respond politely to this. If my signature shows, please refer to it. :indiff:
Original post by Serine Soul
How is putting up the flag promoting it exactly?

Sometimes my council puts up flags of other countries on their independence days, that's not really promoting the countries is it?

So we can have a flag festival for straight people then?
Don't see anything wrong with this. Sounds like a reasonable decision.
You don't have to fly a flag to show you're not homophobic. There has never been a homophobic physical assault in Abingdon apparently, according to twitter.
Reply 7
Original post by richpanda
You don't have to fly a flag to show you're not homophobic. There has never been a homophobic physical assault in Abingdon apparently, according to twitter.

My thoughts exactly.

The LGBT community seems a little too "us against them" nowadays.

Attitudes like "By not flying the flag it suggests it's ok in Oxfordshire to be homophobic." concern me greatly.
Maybe they just don't want to fly a silly rainbow flag from a government building.

And don't you already have equal rights and so forth for gays in the UK? These pride parades and festivals are becoming annoying and unnecessary. "Wooooo, we're here and we're queer!" Who the **** cares anymore?

What discrimination do straight people face? There is no need to have "straight pride" because we are privileged over LGBT people and always have been.
Original post by WBZ144
What discrimination do straight people face? There is no need to have "straight pride" because we are privileged over LGBT people and always have been.

it's not the 1950's here anymore

Gay people are no more "oppressed" than straight white males are.

On the topic of the flag and Pride I think this story is an entire non issue and a witchhunt to find yet more non-existent homophobia. If the Council was homophobic they would not allow a pride parade in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by remiremi

Gays are equal to straight white males in society. lol.

Are you a Gay person? How can you know for sure?

How many Straight people have been attacked on the streets for being Straight? What is the derogatory word for Straight people that is equivalent to the other F word for Gays and the other D word for Lesbians? By law we have equal rights, sure, but homophobia is by no means eradicated.

By law they cannot prevent the parade, as LGBT people also have the right to freedom of assembly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/19/cultural-marxism-a-uniting-theory-for-rightwingers-who-love-to-play-the-victim

*incoming attack on the Guardian*
The excuses they've given are ridiculous, shame on Abingdon Council.
Original post by WBZ144
Are you a Gay person? How can you know for sure?

How many Straight people have been attacked on the streets for being Straight? What is the derogatory word for Straight people that is equivalent to the other F word for Gays and the other D word for Lesbians? By law we have equal rights, sure, but homophobia is by no means eradicated.

My sexual orientation is really none of your business

To call gays in this country "oppressed" is quite openly an insult to what gay people have to deal with daily in countries like Zimbabwe or Syria. Throwing around such words weakens their meaning when using them in relation to Tumblr tier non issues like the story in OP

On the topic of the flag and Pride I think this story is an entire non issue and a witchhunt to find yet more non-existent homophobia. If the Council was homophobic they would not allow a pride parade in the first place.

There is still homophobic out there, being white, western, male means your not being discriminated again; anything else you are.

Original post by Dandaman1
Maybe they just don't want to fly a silly rainbow flag from a government building.

And don't you already have equal rights and so forth for gays in the UK? These pride parades and festivals are becoming annoying and unnecessary. "Wooooo, we're here and we're queer!" Who the **** cares anymore?

Pride is not a celebration of being queer, it's a celebration that queer people can live without as much persecution, or having to hide themselves.

It's also a reminder that queer people aren't out of the woods yet, with sad events such as Orlando continuing to happen.

I was at Glastonbury Festival last weekend and Olly Alexander from Years & Years gave such an emotional speech within his set: "All I have to say to finish is, I am here and queer and sometimes I am afraid but I am never ashamed of who I am."
Original post by WBZ144

Preach.
My sexual orientation is really none of your business

To call gays in this country "oppressed" is quite openly an insult to what gay people have to deal with daily in countries like Zimbabwe or Syria. Throwing around such words weakens their meaning when using them in relation to Tumblr tier non issues like the story in OP

My point is that you are opposing what I said about Gays facing discrimination, when it's very easy to overlook Gay hatred if you don't have to deal with it yourself. I know a thing or two about being treated with hostility just because of who I am, so I am applying this to the struggles faced by LGBT people, who probably have it worse.

So, the LGBT community here have it much better than they do in most countries, that does not invalidate the homophobia that they still have to face and to dismiss homophobic hate crimes, which were are many as 5,597 in 2014/15 as non-issues is an insult to them. I am glad that I don't have to ever be attacked or treated differently over my sexuality, but have some empathy for those who it has/might happen to.

Quick Reply

Latest