The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah. I'm fluent in English & Polish and I tend to think in either one of the languages. I can swap between the two when thinking without thinking if that makes sense lol
sure can. usually it depends which language I was last speaking in, and that usually sets my frame of mind for a while.
Reply 62
Original post by katherine9609
Yeah. I'm fluent in English & Polish and I tend to think in either one of the languages. I can swap between the two when thinking without thinking if that makes sense lol

What age did you learn both languages? If someone asked you, "what language do you think in?", how would you answer?

Can you consciously keep switching thinking language? Can you think in any other languages?
Reply 63
I think a more interesting question is what language deaf people sleep in. Like do they picture signs in their head? Do that have their own oral language internally?
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn both languages? If someone asked you, "what language do you think in?", how would you answer?

Can you consciously keep switching thinking language? Can you think in any other languages?

Polish is my first language as I'm from Poland so you could say I've known it my whole life. English on the other hand, I began learning when I came to the UK 9 years ago. I was fluent in English by the age of 12/13 (I'm almost 20 now).

When someone asks me that question then I always say both as I always think in either one. And yeah, I can conciously change what language I think in but there are times when I automatically start thinking in eg. Polish if someone just spoke in Polish to me etc.
Yes, the two I speak, I can also think in. Mostly think in English though
Reply 66
I have learnt and spoke German for 4 years. I rarely think in German although it is not uncommon for me to revert to German when I can't find the correct English word. (Sounds as weird as it is).
Reply 67
Original post by katherine9609
Polish is my first language as I'm from Poland so you could say I've known it my whole life. English on the other hand, I began learning when I came to the UK 9 years ago. I was fluent in English by the age of 12/13 (I'm almost 20 now).

When someone asks me that question then I always say both as I always think in either one. And yeah, I can conciously change what language I think in but there are times when I automatically start thinking in eg. Polish if someone just spoke in Polish to me etc.

So to answer the question, "what language do you think in", you would answer....
"Polish and English"....right?
Original post by fg45344
So to answer the question, "what language do you think in", you would answer....
"Polish and English"....right?

Yep
I'm fluent in Cantonese and english but I tend to think in english a lot more
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn both languages? Can you choose which language you want to think in?

Vietnamese is my mother tongue and I learned English at the age of eight as a coordinate bilingual. I am able to choose what language to think in, however, sometimes one is more favourable than the other. For example, I can discuss my love for literature and elaborate on the complexities of works like Jane Eyre or The Enemy in English fairly well, but I would literally stutter in my own head were I to force myself into thinking about such subjects in Vietnamese. Regarding everyday issues, Vietnamese or English will do just fine.

I hope this will suffice.
Reply 71
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I'm fluent in Cantonese and english but I tend to think in english a lot more

can you think in cantonese?
Reply 72
Original post by Anne Dagenhart
Vietnamese is my mother tongue and I learned English at the age of eight as a coordinate bilingual. I am able to choose what language to think in, however, sometimes one is more favourable than the other. For example, I can discuss my love for literature and elaborate on the complexities of works like Jane Eyre or The Enemy in English fairly well, but I would literally stutter in my own head were I to force myself into thinking about such subjects in Vietnamese. Regarding everyday issues, Vietnamese or English will do just fine.

I hope this will suffice.

1) Can you think in Vietnamese?

2) Can you think in English?

3) What age did you learn both languages?

4) Can you think in any other language?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fg45344
can you think in cantonese?

Yes but it is a bit strange though, even when I speak in Cantonese with my family I still tend to think in english
Reply 74
Yes but it is a bit strange though, even when I speak in Cantonese with my family I still tend to think in english

Can you think in cantonese when thinking on your own?
Original post by fg45344
Can you think in cantonese when thinking on your own?

Yeah but it doesn't happen often
Reply 76
Yeah but it doesn't happen often

Can you force yourself to think in cantonese?
Original post by fg45344
Can you force yourself to think in cantonese?

Yeah if I want to or have to then I can. But when I think i automatically think in english
Depends completely on the situation.

My mother tonque is German, so does thinking "Oh ****" count as bilingual thought?
Reply 79
Yeah if I want to or have to then I can. But when I think i automatically think in english

If someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending