Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going onto my second year at sixth form and the thought of uni is on my mind. I'm interested in nursing or counselling, however for both you need experience to get in. They see experience is the most valuable attribute of a candidate therefore I'm confused as to where to go from here.

I'm thinking either take a gap year to do a year long apprenticeship in health care to gain the experience OR just do a couple of weeks at a care home and a hospital and enter uni in 2017 (as I am supposed to). The reason I'm stuck is that I don't know which one is best and would appreciate any ideas/suggestions. Thank you!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by inessilva)
    I'm going onto my second year at sixth form and the thought of uni is on my mind. I'm interested in nursing or counselling, however for both you need experience to get in. They see experience is the most valuable attribute of a candidate therefore I'm confused as to where to go from here.

I'm thinking either take a gap year to do a year long apprenticeship in health care to gain the experience OR just do a couple of weeks at a care home and a hospital and enter uni in 2017 (as I am supposed to). The reason I'm stuck is that I don't know which one is best and would appreciate any ideas/suggestions. Thank you!!
    You can get experience through volunteering at weekends so you can do more than a couple of weeks. The more experience the better but there's no harm giving applying a go for 2017 entry then if you didnt get in you could apply the year after.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.