The Student Room Group

How can I argue the 'Psychology as a Science' debate using the biological approach?

I'm studying the psychology as a science debate and I have to be able to be able to use the biological approach to support my argument; any ideas? I've researched it but I'm a little confused about it. How does synaptic transmission and brain scanning link into the debate?
Reply 1
Talk about how the research methods (animal experiments, brain scans e.t.c ) it employs is scientific and give examples of studies that have used those methods; the bio approach also tests hypotheses that are falsifiable and doesn't measure/study abstract ideas/theories
Original post by goam
Talk about how the research methods (animal experiments, brain scans e.t.c ) it employs is scientific and give examples of studies that have used those methods; the bio approach also tests hypotheses that are falsifiable and doesn't measure/study abstract ideas/theories

Okay thanks for the ideas; how would I go about saying how for example brain scans are scientific? (This is what is confusing me) I know that I could use studies such as Raine et al to support the use of brain scanning I'm just unsure how I would say brain scanning is scientific.
Reply 3
Original post by GattMariyibi
Okay thanks for the ideas; how would I go about saying how for example brain scans are scientific? (This is what is confusing me) I know that I could use studies such as Raine et al to support the use of brain scanning I'm just unsure how I would say brain scanning is scientific.

I'll PM you my notes if you want??
Reply 4
Psychology is to biology what a toddler playing snooker is to physics.
Original post by goam
I'll PM you my notes if you want??

Please, that would be a great help thanks :smile:
Personally I like Milgram's original 1965 study the best as there's a lot to talk about and it's really easy to remember if you take an interest in it. I also like Sherif's realistic conflict theory. I'm not a big fan of the cognitive approach it's a bit boring in my opinion but there are a few studies such as Miller 1959 (I'm not too sure if that's right) or Baddeley, they are quite good to look at. I think my favourite in the cognitive approach is Bartlett's reconstructive memory which can be applied to eye witness testimonies, there are loads to choose from just pick one you like the best.
No problem :smile:, oh yeah I forgot about Skinner, that's quite good as well but Milgram's study will be one of the first experiments that you'll look at in detail on the course, and reconstructive memory is exactly that, if you need any help with explaining any of those studies just PM me because I've been studying them all year and I basically know all about them (Mostly the social ones).
Reply 8
What I stated is perfectly valid for AS/A2 psychology which is what the OP was asking for. As to whether psychology is or isn't a science isn't important, OP just wants to do well in her psych exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
In your opinion, what is the difference between neuroscience, neuropsychology and psychology? With the last two being almost the same thing, it's a little far fetched to call one a science and the other not.
These things are needed for something to be considered a 'science'

Objectivity recorded without bias or influenced by others.
Control studies should be within a controlled environment
Predictability We should be able to predict the future based on previous results.
Hypothesis Testing theories generate hypotheses which either support or disprove a theory.
Replication Experiments should be able to replicate exactly to produce valid and reliable results.

As the biological approach relies on laboratory studies and experiments in general, it can predict results, control environments which are easy to replicate, be objective and can produce hypotheses.

Behaviourist approach would be in the middle as it relies on lab. experiments to an extent but considers that the environment plays a part.

The opposite side would be Psychodynamic/Humanism who don't use any scientific techniques and only produce qualitative data.

You'd want to include Poppers falsification idea and Kuhn's idea of paradigms and you could include a debate (nature/nurture to relate it back to research)
Yes, it relies on objective empirical data just like all the hard sciences i.e. brain scans are used, produces quantitative data and uses scientific methods and controls. That is the definition of a science. Psychology is more broad than that however, as it uses qualitative data from the other approaches where other people try to argue it isn't a science i.e. Psychodynamic and Cognitive approaches most significantly but just because it uses qualitative and quantitative data doesn't mean it isn't a science. We'd be screwed without psychology and the 'it isn't a science' argument, is really unhelpful in many ways.
Strength of agency theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending