Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS teacher references watch

ReputationRep:
    When are they written? I recently changed my mind about what degree to do (from law to geography), and I've told all my teachers on forms that I've filled in that I want to do law. It's not too late to change is it? Aimeé

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    When are they written? I recently changed my mind about what degree to do (from law to geography), and I've told all my teachers on forms that I've filled in that I want to do law. It's not too late to change is it? Aimeé
    Just tell them you've changed your mind and they should be able to change it. My teachers have already written our references but the final thing isn't put together until like September/october so it should be possible to change it

ReputationRep:
    Tell whoever wrote your reference that you've changed your mind and they can make it more geared towards geography. They won't be finalised yet. What made you change your mind about courses? I'm going to be applying for geography, it's ace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Tell whoever wrote your reference that you've changed your mind and they can make it more geared towards geography. They won't be finalised yet. What made you change your mind about courses? I'm going to be applying for geography, it's ace
    Ok, I'll mention it to my form tutor on Monday. I just suddenly realised that it was where my passion was, and I had been really stupid to overlook it before. Cool, where are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll mention it to my form tutor on Monday. I just suddenly realised that it was where my passion was, and I had been really stupid to overlook it before. Cool, where are you applying to?
    At the moment my six choices are: Durham, Southampton, Exeter, Reading, Aberystwyth and Loughborough, but 3 of them could change! You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    At the moment my six choices are: Durham, Southampton, Exeter, Reading, Aberystwyth and Loughborough, but 3 of them could change! You?
    Wow, I live in Reading! Um, I'm thinking Oxford or Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol and really unsure about the 6th (Manchester, Soton or Leeds!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think references get written 'til the beginning of the Autumn term. All my college's UCAS forms were sent off in one big batch in December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I don't think references get written 'til the beginning of the Autumn term. All my college's UCAS forms were sent off in one big batch in December.
    Really? That seems quite late. At my sixth form they all have to be sent by October half term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Really? That seems quite late. At my sixth form they all have to be sent by October half term!
    Same, they all have to be in by Oct 4th.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah, we were worried about that...we could ask for a reference earlier and send it off ourselves if we wanted but nobody bothered...and everyone got the offers they expected...

ReputationRep:
    Same, they all have to be in by Oct 4th.
    At ours they were sent in batches daily when urs was ready, and my teacher referance wasnt subject specific it could have been for any subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    At ours they were sent in batches daily when urs was ready, and my teacher referance wasnt subject specific it could have been for any subject
    It was just we had to fill in all these forms about what we wanted to do, and with a mini perosnal statement for it, and there were boxes for our teachers to tick which says 'Is x suitable for her chosen course?'. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    It was just we had to fill in all these forms about what we wanted to do, and with a mini perosnal statement for it, and there were boxes for our teachers to tick which says 'Is x suitable for her chosen course?'. Hmm.
    Wow, your school sounds really organised etc. They can't moan at you for changing your mind; they can't force you to apply to do law just because that's what you put on your little forms! Just explain it on Monday, and see what your tutor says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Wow, your school sounds really organised etc. They can't moan at you for changing your mind; they can't force you to apply to do law just because that's what you put on your little forms! Just explain it on Monday, and see what your tutor says.
    Will do, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about my reference because on my biology form one of the teachers wrote some really negative stuff about my presentation skills (we had a falling out so i expected her to write some crap) and the other wrote that i don't respond/act upon criticism - i really don't know where that came from! Anyway, i wasn't supposed to read them so i'll shut up now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I'm worried about my reference because on my biology form one of the teachers wrote some really negative stuff about my presentation skills (we had a falling out so i expected her to write some crap) and the other wrote that i don't respond/act upon criticism - i really don't know where that came from! Anyway, i wasn't supposed to read them so i'll shut up now!
    My teacher's won't show us our references, so I'm thinking about getting it through UCAS under the data protection act, I'm scared of my school finding out I've done it though.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher's won't show us our references, so I'm thinking about getting it through UCAS under the data protection act, I'm scared of my school finding out I've done it though.
    I think we are allowed to see ours once the final draft has been written or something. I only looked at my ref request forms coz my tutor left the file in my tutor room so i had a sneaky peek!

ReputationRep:
    I just asked my tutor is I could see my reference, and he went and printed it for me there and then. I don't know why they'd be so secretive about it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I just asked my tutor is I could see my reference, and he went and printed it for me there and then. I don't know why they'd be so secretive about it. :confused:
    Nor do I, but the school have said all we'll get is predicted grades, we won't see our reference. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. Anyone know anything about getting them off UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    from law to geography
    Have you had a nasty fall recently?
    This could be paraphrased in a single term - 'retrograde step'.

In all seriousness though, why have you changed your mind?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.