Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically last year I chose to take a deferred entry due to medical reasons and now after talking with doctors/family they basically think it would be better if I was going to a university that was easier to get to.

My question is; would I be able to go through clearing even though I'm currently in a deferred year in order to study at a university that is handier to get to?

Thanks - Johnny
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by aturnipisaswede)
    Basically last year I chose to take a deferred entry due to medical reasons and now after talking with doctors/family they basically think it would be better if I was going to a university that was easier to get to.

My question is; would I be able to go through clearing even though I'm currently in a deferred year in order to study at a university that is handier to get to?

Thanks - Johnny
    You can't be holding a place anywhere to be able to go through clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You can't be holding a place anywhere to be able to go through clearing
    So the only real choice besides taking another year off from uni is to go to the one I have a place in?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    So the only real choice besides taking another year off from uni is to go to the one I have a place in?
    Sorry i should have been clearer. You can give up the deferred place, do a whole fresh ucas application for 2016 entry and see what you can find in clearing if you wanted to. It all depends where you wanted to apply to whether or not there will be places left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Sorry i should have been clearer. You can give up the deferred place, do a whole fresh ucas application for 2016 entry and see what you can find in clearing if you wanted to. It all depends where you wanted to apply to whether or not there will be places left.
    Do you mean a whole new 2016 UCAS application or can I simply give up the place from my current application and then use that to apply to universities when it comes to the time of clearing? I know it would be a bit of a lottery draw if it did come to that - not knowing a lot about the universities offering places through clearing.

Also do you know the deadline for doing that?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Do you mean a whole new 2016 UCAS application or can I simply give up the place from my current application and then use that to apply to universities when it comes to the time of clearing? I know it would be a bit of a lottery draw if it did come to that - not knowing a lot about the universities offering places through clearing.

Also do you know the deadline for doing that?
    If you originally applied for 2015 entry then deferred, you need to make a whole new one after giving up your deferred place. Clearing starts on Tuesday so you might want to sort it as soon as you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.