Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male work colleague is sociable and friendly with everyone but awkward with me. Why? Watch

I have a very flirty work colleague, he is known as a serial flirt but also a really friendly, sociable man. His flirting is harmless although it is generally agreed his current relationship is failing and is likely to come to an end sooner rather than later. He has always flirted with me but I don't flirt back much although I am always friendly.
    I've noticed one thing though. He tends to not bother much with people he doesn't get on with. And those he does get on with he's super friendly with. However with me he is different to the way he is with anyone else. He is very flirting and actively seeks my company when we are in work or in a large group. He also asked for my number to keep in contact with me and regularly contacts me on Facebook. He seems to find me attractive physically but I genuinely don't think he's remotely interested in me. He always makes a massive point of commenting on the looks of every other womain we see when out together. I think he's trying to make it clear he doesn't fancy me (he really doesn't need to). He's never ever asked me on a date or to meet up outside of work, The issues is, he will avoid being alone with me at all costs. He won't walk to pick up lunch together or even sit next to me at social events. If we have to spend time alone for work he will avoid doing so at all costs and is incredibly confident normally but with me is so awkward and uncomfortable. He has an absolutely straight face when talking to me and never smiles. He always tells me to stay in touch and call him if I need anything, but alone, he is so incredibly uncomfortable. I can hardly describe it adequately. He is incredibly uncomfortable with me alone and not this way with anyone else. It's a shame, as we have so much in common. If I knew why he was like this is could maybe make steps to make things better and we can be less awkward. He once got upset thinking I'd deleted him on Facebook so I'm wondering if somewhere along the line he feels I don't like him or have rejected his friendship. I'm really not sure!!! Maybe I will be able to bring it up with him but until then I'm just looking for advice from you guys. Has anyone any idea of what's going on here? Some possible reasons for this behaviour perhaps? I know you won't know his mind but I could do with any advice really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a very flirty work colleague, he is known as a serial flirt but also a really friendly, sociable man. His flirting is harmless although it is generally agreed his current relationship is failing and is likely to come to an end sooner rather than later. He has always flirted with me but I don't flirt back much although I am always friendly.
    I've noticed one thing though. He tends to not bother much with people he doesn't get on with. And those he does get on with he's super friendly with. However with me he is different to the way he is with anyone else. He is very flirting and actively seeks my company when we are in work or in a large group. He also asked for my number to keep in contact with me and regularly contacts me on Facebook. He seems to find me attractive physically but I genuinely don't think he's remotely interested in me. He always makes a massive point of commenting on the looks of every other womain we see when out together. I think he's trying to make it clear he doesn't fancy me (he really doesn't need to). He's never ever asked me on a date or to meet up outside of work, The issues is, he will avoid being alone with me at all costs. He won't walk to pick up lunch together or even sit next to me at social events. If we have to spend time alone for work he will avoid doing so at all costs and is incredibly confident normally but with me is so awkward and uncomfortable. He has an absolutely straight face when talking to me and never smiles. He always tells me to stay in touch and call him if I need anything, but alone, he is so incredibly uncomfortable. I can hardly describe it adequately. He is incredibly uncomfortable with me alone and not this way with anyone else. It's a shame, as we have so much in common. If I knew why he was like this is could maybe make steps to make things better and we can be less awkward. He once got upset thinking I'd deleted him on Facebook so I'm wondering if somewhere along the line he feels I don't like him or have rejected his friendship. I'm really not sure!!! Maybe I will be able to bring it up with him but until then I'm just looking for advice from you guys. Has anyone any idea of what's going on here? Some possible reasons for this behaviour perhaps? I know you won't know his mind but I could do with any advice really.
    Well I'd guess and say he really like you, I am like that, but with the girl I like I can be nervous/awkward, though she is as well which makes it worse. But err, are you awkward with him?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.