Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why dont i grasp things as quick as others? Watch

I go to a sports club snd have been trying to learn, on and off, for years athletic techniques for various events. The current coach who teaches the group says that im not grasping very simple movements ie for discus and shot put that many people learn within a day. He says he doesnt know why as they are very simple movements yet after years of on and off practice it hasnt stuck.

Ive always struggled a little socially mostly because i cant be bothered talking and also cause im just not great at conversation/expressing myself. I only really started initiating conversation regularly at about 20 lol. Im average academicaly though (even tho i cant spell academic lol) got b's for gcse and although i struggled with a levels i got a degree in nursing (never failed an assignment), although i dont work as one as i feel id struggle with the responsibility/multitasking. I struggle with answering phones at work it scares me and i struggled on a placement once.

I think people see me as a little slow/dopy and odd perhaps as i dont have stylish hair and dress plainly, jeans and trainers. I often wonder why i dont grasp things as quick as others people say ive no confidence but its often othets who make negative comments, i try to stay positive and look at the stuff i can do. Could i have some kind or learning difficulty or just lack intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    Dyspraxia?
    ADHD?

ReputationRep:
    everyone is different, and achieve their milestone in different ages :yep:
    be optimistic and keep on trying

ReputationRep:
    I'm dopey too. Sometimes my brain doesn't work like it used to - bcos of vitamin defencies and I'm tired all the time lmao

You're not that dopey if you managed to graduate with a nursing degree. And everyone feels under pressure and not even be able multi task all the time.

If you are concerned you can go to the GP and get some blood tests done, to see if you're lacking in anything which may affect your overall performance..

ReputationRep:
    Repetition is key. When you learn something new, repeat it lots within the first 24 hours and practice heaps. Make sure you practice it the right way though with the right technique and stuff. How you dress has nothing to do with your intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Probably self fulfilling prophecy. You believe you don't grasp things quickly so you don't. It isn't actually true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I go to a sports club snd have been trying to learn, on and off, for years athletic techniques for various events. The current coach who teaches the group says that im not grasping very simple movements ie for discus and shot put that many people learn within a day. He says he doesnt know why as they are very simple movements yet after years of on and off practice it hasnt stuck.

Ive always struggled a little socially mostly because i cant be bothered talking and also cause im just not great at conversation/expressing myself. I only really started initiating conversation regularly at about 20 lol. Im average academicaly though (even tho i cant spell academic lol) got b's for gcse and although i struggled with a levels i got a degree in nursing (never failed an assignment), although i dont work as one as i feel id struggle with the responsibility/multitasking. I struggle with answering phones at work it scares me and i struggled on a placement once.

I think people see me as a little slow/dopy and odd perhaps as i dont have stylish hair and dress plainly, jeans and trainers. I often wonder why i dont grasp things as quick as others people say ive no confidence but its often othets who make negative comments, i try to stay positive and look at the stuff i can do. Could i have some kind or learning difficulty or just lack intelligence?
    Be kinder to your self. It all comes down to one issue. Focus. In anything you aspire to do, learn how to purge everything from your mind except the task you are trying to accomplish. You are reading too much about the way others perceive you. Make this less important. Good luck
    Love yourself. Don't deprive yourself of what you want/need because of others. Be true unto thy self.
    Good luck

Thanks guys, I guess I just enjoy and stick at things that I am not much good at most people probably wonder why I haven't give up, I do care about what others think even though I shouldn't. Focus probably comes into it I find that I have to think a lot about simple things that come second nature to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Dyspraxia?
    ADHD?
    As someone who has been diagnosed with both of those things at different points in life, they don't stop you from grasping things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.