Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm super interested in Durham but can't decide which college I'd like to apply for. I'm definitely not the type of person who likes to go out and get smashed every weekend, but don't mind the occasional drink with dinner. Is there any college that isn't super heavy on the club/bar culture? I'm also specifically looking at Hatfield and University College, how are they on that issue? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    In that case Durham seems to be the right place for you.

The choice of college is irrelevant. It will probably just depend on the sort of people you meet.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    *fewer (not less); or "less partying"

Van Mildert aka "Comp on the Swamp" right at the top of the hill is good for people who like it quiet. There isn't a 'clubbing' scene in Durham anyway, everyone goes into Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I agree I am at Durham and would just say it all depends on the people you meet. In freshers week go to the events that dont involve drinking/going as I imagine you are more likely to meet people that way that are similar to you

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Trevelyan College isn't like that at all. Top of the hill, good bar for some drinks, but many non-club events in Freshers week and throughout the year. They're much more focused on open mics and pizza and film nights (and weekly quizzes!) than other colleges

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that durham's night life is terrible? If I like partying (as well as working hard obviously) is durham the wrong place for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glbaker)
    Is it true that durham's night life is terrible? If I like partying (as well as working hard obviously) is durham the wrong place for me?
    Though I'm not a hardcore partier, some of my friends are and they still really enjoy the nightlife scene. There's events on every night, all very cheap, and fairly fun. They also often go to Newcastle - this is very common and regular within colleges to do so, so you can always do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiekey)
    Though I'm not a hardcore partier, some of my friends are and they still really enjoy the nightlife scene. There's events on every night, all very cheap, and fairly fun. They also often go to Newcastle - this is very common and regular within colleges to do so, so you can always do that.
    Thank You!! what are the events that happen in durham? are there clubs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glbaker)
    Thank You!! what are the events that happen in durham? are there clubs?
    A lot of fancy dress ones, there are about 10 clubs in durham but newcastle is only 5 minutes away on the train

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm prettty much in the same boat - I don't drink (or smoke) at all. I've applied to St Chad's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    Hey,

I'm prettty much in the same boat - I don't drink (or smoke) at all. I've applied to St Chad's.
    lol, you're in for a surprise. Chads go hard! depend what house you're put in really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.