Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i have a friend who wants to withdraw around £19500 from there bank to pay for a holiday and a new car.

My question is how would the banks react to this and would they let them proceed and withdraw the money from thier account.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you won't be able to walk in and out with 20 grand in cash (especially not in £50 notes). Santander, for example, only allow current account holders to withdraw a maximum of £5,000 without notice. So depending on the bank, 48 hours notice may be required to obtain and release the funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    Chances are you won't be able to walk in and out with 20 grand in cash (especially not in £50 notes). Santander, for example, only allow current account holders to withdraw a maximum of £5,000 without notice. So depending on the bank, 48 hours notice may be required to obtain and release the funds.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownone1229)
    So i have a friend who wants to withdraw around £19500 from there bank to pay for a holiday and a new car.

My question is how would the banks react to this and would they let them proceed and withdraw the money from thier account.
    i know my account will let me take £10,000 with a day's notice and what branch I plan to collect from but other than that I can take £2,000 a day just walking in on my personal account
    £10,000 no notice on my black corporate account with Lloyds
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    what boondock said above. You should check with the bank. they may alos require proof of id.
    Why cnat they pay by credut card or bank transfer?

ReputationRep:
    Give them a bit of notice - 24 to 48 hrs notice would be a good idea.
    There won't be a problem. I've pulled 30 grand out of natwest in the past with 24 hours notice. If I'm taking out less than 10k I don't bother giving any notice.

ReputationRep:
    Who buys these things with cash?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Normally they'd want some notice if you're taking out multiple thousand at once, not just for security but because a lot of banks won't even have that much cash lying around that you can withdraw or else nobody else will be able to get their money when they want it.

I don't understand why a holiday would need you to withdraw that much cash. Any respectable holiday company will allow for card transactions. If you're paying for a car then it's much safer to use paypal or even a bank transfer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I agree with the above posts. If you pay by card, you tend to get far more protection, rather than if you just pay by cash.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said depending on the bank and branch youll most likely need to give atleast a days notice not to mention theres a high chance of that being flagged... young people withdrawing bulk sums of cash like that is a going to raise a lot of eyebrows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownone1229)

Car dealerships and travel agents won't accept that sort of cash. Pay on card instead. Large payments usually require a call to the bank to confirm the payment but it is all pretty straightforward and will be done by the dealer / agent.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.