Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    some time during my 4 year course at university i would look for employment as an intern. My aim is to be a game programmer but at the moment the game industry in my country is not that large so it is difficult to find a work experience placement that would give me insight on how the industry actually works and skills that are relevant to it. So i decided that from now till university i will create a catalogue of games and apps that i would hopefully publish, so i could enhance my skills in game programming and learn more about game development among other things. When writing my resume for an internship would have not working at a company but rather making a bunch of apps and game programs be a drawback and possibly deny me the job?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    You are going to have to be able to show a full range of skills and the plan you have set out there would give you evidence of technical skills, but not so much evidence of the softer skills of teamwork, leadership, presentations, communication etc. That evidence doesn't have to come from a workplace situation, but it needs to come from somewhere, so look to your Interests and other activities to make sure you have the full range of skills required by your future career.

Btw, a resumé is a different document, used in the US, if you are applying in the UK it's a CV.

(Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    some time during my 4 year course at university i would look for employment as an intern. My aim is to be a game programmer but at the moment the game industry in my country is not that large so it is difficult to find a work experience placement that would give me insight on how the industry actually works and skills that are relevant to it. So i decided that from now till university i will create a catalogue of games and apps that i would hopefully publish, so i could enhance my skills in game programming and learn more about game development among other things. When writing my resume for an internship would have not working at a company but rather making a bunch of apps and game programs be a drawback and possibly deny me the job?
    In a company you are most likely to communicate with your colleagues which is very beneficial later on because it shows you've been working as part of a team.

If you focus on planning and producing your own projects, it allows employers to see that you're independent and can actually create something without someone else's assistance.

You're planning to become game programmer - it seems like most of your time will be utilised on a computer machine which effectively leads down to working on your own.

You will certainly need some sort of communication, especially understanding most of the technical terms but I assume you will be okay.

Personally I think it will be an advantage rather than a drawback, but in comparison it may seem like a drawback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.