The Student Room Group

Applying for Multiple Jobs, Help?

Hi,

So I am a recent graduate, just completed my HND in IT/Computing. I've been looking for a 1st line support job for the last month, nothing so far. I need to get a job ASAP, so I started applying for any job I can find.

Last week I applied for a job at a local supermarket and I have an interview tomorrow. Today a friend of mine, he does the job I want, IT support, and his company, office is hiring for a graduate role, so I applied and he said he'll put in a good word for me to his manager.

If all goes good, and I at least get to the interview stage for this company, what do I do about the supermarket job? As I still need a job ASAP and I don't want to scrap the supermarket job just in case the IT support job is a no go. However I don't also want to pass the supermarket interview, get hired, work for a couple of weeks then leave because I found another job.

What is the best course of action for someone in my position? Should I mention to the supermarket that I am actively looking for another job in my chosen career and I may have a potential interview in the next few weeks?

Thank you for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
What's your priority here? Getting a job ASAP or avoiding having a job for a few weeks because you get another one?

This is something the vast majority of job hunters have to experience. There is no issue apart from your own perceived issue of having a job for a few weeks and then securing another one.

Most people will secure a job and while they are working that job secure another one. The main issue they will find is taking time off work to go for other interviews, but that is something they just have to manage themselves by either swapping shifts, starting early/leaving late or making the time up elsewhere in the week.

Don't tell the supermarket you are actively looking for another job - they are far less likely to hire you if you said that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The job at the supermarket is only part-time only 12 hours a week, finding time off for another interview isn't an issue. So the best course of action you'd say, go for the supermarket job, then if I land the other job just hand in my notice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Yes - that's the very normal thing to do and why notice periods are included in employment contracts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you for your answer!
Keep all your eggs in your basket. Go to the supermarket interview. It will be good practice (tip - go suited and booted). If you don't get the support job, you still have a potential fallback. Right now, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending