Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AEA Geog watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing to help with UCAS applications, or can it backfire if they include it as part of your offer? And when should I ask my school about doing one - now, or when I go back in Sep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I've just asked my school to do AEA Economics as it shows I'm interested in my subject. They hadn't even heard of what an AEA was! Anyway, they're fine with that and I asked my Head of Economics last week. Also, Cambridge will uses AEAs in offers (e.g. for Economics one person got an offer of: "either AAAA or AAA + Merit in AEA Economics") but I've never heard of Oxford doing that.

By the way, do you go to the Abbey? I'm at Kendrick.
    Oh hi! Yeah, I do go to the Abbey. Wow, you're just around the corner from me! I know lots of people at your school. I'm not sure whether I'm applying to Ox or Cam yet, probably Ox. I might ask around school on Monday. Do you know if AEA's are really hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Have you checked for a specimen paper yet? Here's the specification for it: http://www.qca.org.uk/ages14-19/subjects/3914.html

The Economics paper looks quite daunting but then it is a 3 hour exam with lots of stupidly long essays. Oh well, should be fun
    Fun eh? Depends what floats your boat :rolleyes: Thanks for your help though, much appreciated. Aimée x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing to help with UCAS applications, or can it backfire if they include it as part of your offer? And when should I ask my school about doing one - now, or when I go back in Sep?
    I really want to do AEA Geog too, but i've finished sixth form 'til September now so i can't ask until then. I'm pretty sure no one has taken it before; they only seem to do chemistry and biology AEAs in my sixth form at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I did AEA geog this summer. It won't really help you with UCAS etc, except maybe if you mentioned it in you personal statement, as you get the results of it with you A2 results. I have only heard of one person who has had it included in their offer. Might help though if, for example, you had dropped a grade in geography, from an A to a B but had got a merit in the AEA the uni might let you in still.

I didnt take mine very seriously - no point getting stressed over something that ultimately isn't worth very much except maybe the satisfaction if you manage to get anything out of it at all!

ReputationRep:
    I sat AEA Geography this year and put in on my UCAS form. I haven't heard of anyone having it included in their offer, but when I got my pool offer from Newnham they said 'we'd like you to continue with your AEA if Geography if possible'. It makes you look keen so might help with getting offers in that respect, and like Lissy said, may help if you drop a grade.

Like Lissy, I didn't take it at all seriously - it was a whole 4 days after my A-Levels finished so it was hard to sum up any kind of enhusiasm or even stationary for it . 3 hours is a looooooooong time and I wrote all kind of rubbish.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.