Postgraduate applicants 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Got an offer for International Political Economy at Warwick :smile:
I applied for:

MA Advertising and Marketing @ University of Leeds
MSc Marketing @ Queen Mary University of London
MSc International Marketing @ King's College London

I sent each application around mid-November, QMUL sent me an offer within about one week, and I'm still waiting to hear back from UoL and KCL. King's is my first choice but the wait is killing me!

Has anyone else applied to any of these/received offers?
Has anyone got any good advice for funding? I have offers for a few unis but some of them I can't go to unless I can find some extra money :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apt9
Got an offer for International Political Economy at Warwick :smile:

Congrats! I was accepted there as well! Are you going to Warwick or are you waiting on other options?
Reply 324
I got a conditional offer for International Business at Warwick!:h:
Reply 325
UCL MSc management anyone? Has anyone been asked for an interview?? any tips!! thank you!!
Hi everyone!

KCL: Master of Arts in Terrorism, Security & Society (applied about 3 weeks ago)
St Andrews: Master of Letters in Terrorism and Political Violence (applied about one hour ago)

Not too sure about what will happen, but I am really excited to find out!
Submitted an application for the MSc in Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh. No idea how long they take to get back though..
I've got an offer for MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering and haven't seen a single post about the course on here! Anyone going for the same course?
Hi, I am a current Oxford postgraduate student. I have received an offer for the PhD in Classics/Ancient History from Durham, where the classics faculty has nominated me for a Durham Doctoral Studentship. I won't know about the final results until late March or early April, when the university will centrally allocate scholarships. I was wondering if anybody here has experience with Durham's DDS. How competitive it is, and how many scholarships does classics get in relation to the sciences etc? Any help will be much appreciated :smile:
Im in my final year as an Undergrad but I've applied for a Primary PGCE at:

East Anglia
Birmingham City
Nottingham

Got an interview for all 3 so hopefully it shouldn't go too badly..
Reply 331
Sent a bunch of applications off for Philosophy masters courses last month. Have a few offers, but I am still waiting on UCL, LSE, Cambridge, and Oxford. Any other Philosophy applicants out there?
Been a while since I posted on here (because Kings and UCL took forever). I ended up getting accepted to Kings for MSc international marketing and my portal for UCL Msc Management just changed to Currently being processed by admissions, which means I'll know by midnight as I have been told by others
Reply 333
Original post by kamcgrat
Been a while since I posted on here (because Kings and UCL took forever). I ended up getting accepted to Kings for MSc international marketing and my portal for UCL Msc Management just changed to Currently being processed by admissions, which means I'll know by midnight as I have been told by others

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by frenchstud74
Hi everyone!

KCL: Master of Arts in Terrorism, Security & Society (applied about 3 weeks ago)
St Andrews: Master of Letters in Terrorism and Political Violence (applied about one hour ago)

Not too sure about what will happen, but I am really excited to find out!

Hey, I've applied to both courses, have an offer from KCL, and withdrawing my application from St Andrews (I'm doing my undergrad there and want the change, prefer the course at St Andrews)
Original post by Calllu-m
Hey, I've applied to both courses, have an offer from KCL, and withdrawing my application from St Andrews (I'm doing my undergrad there and want the change, prefer the course at St Andrews)

Hey, yeah I think I remember you from the War Studies thread. Congrats on the offer. From your perspective would you say that the St Andrews course is good in terms of teaching/employability in comparison to King's?
Hey, yeah I think I remember you from the War Studies thread. Congrats on the offer. From your perspective would you say that the St Andrews course is good in terms of teaching/employability in comparison to King's?

I mean, the St Andrews course is second to none really because of the Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence, which has amazing staff. The former principal was a terrorism studies expert and it's become a forte of the university. Teaching and employability are both great from St Andrews. If I hadn't done 4 years here, I'd do my masters here without a doubt. I think King's will be slightly less favoured by employers with regards to Terrorism related degrees.

That said, it's in London and if you plan on finding a job in political risk analysis (which most graduates of terrorism and security related degrees aim form) then London is the place to be.

As I said, for me it was a location thing. I'm done with small towns and want a faster paced lifestyle. If you've been in a city uni for undergrad, you might prefer St Andrews. KCL does have a few more modules that I find more interesting than St Andrews, but that's personal preference.
I mean, the St Andrews course is second to none really because of the Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence, which has amazing staff. The former principal was a terrorism studies expert and it's become a forte of the university. Teaching and employability are both great from St Andrews. If I hadn't done 4 years here, I'd do my masters here without a doubt. I think King's will be slightly less favoured by employers with regards to Terrorism related degrees.

That said, it's in London and if you plan on finding a job in political risk analysis (which most graduates of terrorism and security related degrees aim form) then London is the place to be.

As I said, for me it was a location thing. I'm done with small towns and want a faster paced lifestyle. If you've been in a city uni for undergrad, you might prefer St Andrews. KCL does have a few more modules that I find more interesting than St Andrews, but that's personal preference.

Thanks for the thorough answer!
I agree on all of these points, but I guess that if money weren't such a big factor my final decision about where to go would probably be different.
St Andrews is undeniably cheaper and it does seem like a great place to study Terrorism. My only worry is the balance between traditional thinking and intellectual freedom.. I'd definitely wouldn't want to go to a Uni that does not favour critical theories and alternative thinking!

In terms of employability, I am not sure whether I will stay in the UK for the next couple of years so international reputation matters a lot too. But that's if I get an offer first, haha.
Thanks for the thorough answer!
I agree on all of these points, but I guess that if money weren't such a big factor my final decision about where to go would probably be different.
St Andrews is undeniably cheaper and it does seem like a great place to study Terrorism. My only worry is the balance between traditional thinking and intellectual freedom.. I'd definitely wouldn't want to go to a Uni that does not favour critical theories and alternative thinking!

In terms of employability, I am not sure whether I will stay in the UK for the next couple of years so international reputation matters a lot too. But that's if I get an offer first, haha.

St Andrews may be cheaper for tuition, but it's not cheap for flats. Obviously you can find cheap flats but the average going rate is £500-600 per person per month. From doing a search of flatshares in London it works out a bit more expensive in London, but not by much at all.

St Andrews lecturers love their critical theory, trust me I did enough of it across undergrad. KCL probably ranks higher internationally but that's because it's a bigger uni, St Andrews is one of the smallest fully comprehensive universities in the UK so has a smaller research output.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/postgraduate/2016-2017/pgintrel-Terrorism_and_Political_Violence-full%20time.pdf

That's the current course catalogue from St Andrews, although I think you can choose other masters level modules from other programs.
St Andrews may be cheaper for tuition, but it's not cheap for flats. Obviously you can find cheap flats but the average going rate is £500-600 per person per month. From doing a search of flatshares in London it works out a bit more expensive in London, but not by much at all.

St Andrews lecturers love their critical theory, trust me I did enough of it across undergrad. KCL probably ranks higher internationally but that's because it's a bigger uni, St Andrews is one of the smallest fully comprehensive universities in the UK so has a smaller research output.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/postgraduate/2016-2017/pgintrel-Terrorism_and_Political_Violence-full%20time.pdf

That's the current course catalogue from St Andrews, although I think you can choose other masters level modules from other programs.

Ah, this reassures me a lot! The prospect of an offer from St Andrews now seems very exciting. I still don't know which uni I would choose if I got an offer from both...I thought that KCL would be a lot harder to get in, but I might be wrong as it seems that ISS at St Andrews is a very oversubscribed course. I don't know if it is the same for the MLitt Terrorism...?
Also, when do you reckon I will hear back from St Andrews? I saw that you had a pretty swift answer from Kings! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending