The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilGem
Thank you! I still have one more application to send but Birmingham haven't opened theirs yet

What was the turnaround for these decisions? I'm applying to taught MAs in history (and I'm in the US). I want to send off all of my applications by November.
Reply 21
Original post by etoile89
What was the turnaround for these decisions? I'm applying to taught MAs in history (and I'm in the US). I want to send off all of my applications by November.

Ive sent mine off really early, they normally state on the website or just after you apply. For Leicester they said it would take 4 weeks after a complete application and it took 9 days. Sheffield e-mailed me with an interview on the last day of August 3 days after they received my full application.

Liverpool and Cardiff are still awaiting references from each of my referees but they are expecting it to be 4 weeks turnaround once that has happened.

Nottingham has a full application as of the the 14th September and they are expecting it to take a few weeks.

That said it may well vary at different times when applications have been sent off*
UCL don't open their applications until October :frown:
I'm new here, and an international student, so I'm very nervous and confused about the entire applications process.

I'm thinking of applying to UCL - MSc Crime Science and maybe Computing Science MSc at University of Bath? And of course, even applying is so expensive that I feel like I'm wasting my parent's money, because I probably won't get in, and I really want to do the Crime Science MSc. :'|
Reply 24
Applying for Psychology Conversion MSc at London Met and Greenwich.
Did BA English at BBK and now doing MA Comparative Lit at Goldsmiths :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by lilGem
Sheffield e-mailed me with an interview on the last day of August 3 days after they received my full application.

Hey, really well done on getting an interview at Sheffield and an unconditional offer at Leicester.

For your Sheffield application did you upload a CV and what type of things did you upload in the supporting documents in part 2? Uploading a CV doesn't seem to be a requirement but was wondering if they would prefer that I did.

Thanks.
Reply 26
Original post by SLClegg
Hey, really well done on getting an interview at Sheffield and an unconditional offer at Leicester.

For your Sheffield application did you upload a CV and what type of things did you upload in the supporting documents in part 2? Uploading a CV doesn't seem to be a requirement but was wondering if they would prefer that I did.

Thanks.

I did put my CV in each of my applications as supporting documents as they didn't always ask for it :smile: I had my supporting statement in addition to my two references.

I only added mine as I couldn't talk about it in as much depth as I wanted such as my research project and other roles relating to my course*
Reply 27
I've applied for

MA Media, Communication and Critical Practice at LCC (London College of Communication)
MA Digital Asset & Media Management at KCL (King's)
MA Digital Media at London Met (London Metropolitan)
MA Events and Conference Management at Westminster

So far, I have a conditional offer from London Met :smile:

Would love to hear from others applying to the same courses!
Reply 28
Last application sent, and now we wait :scared:
I'm hoping to do Medical ethics & Law at the University of Manchester! Fingers crossed, just waiting to get my references back from undergrad lecturers !!
My applications (none sent yet as I'm procrastinating with clicking the final "apply" button, and half haven't opened their apps yet):

Oxford: MSc Computer Science
Cambridge: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
Imperial: MSc Computing (Machine Learning)
Bristol: MSc Advanced Computing - Machine Learning, Data Mining and High Performance Computing
UCL: Machine Learning

I'm 100% applying to Oxford, Cambridge & Imperial, the others are down to if I get the time to fill in the applications. I'm also worried I'm putting my referees out by asking them to write me so many references!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 31
Just realised I haven't updated:*

I had my interview with Sheffield on Tuesday and was given an offer on the spot- just waiting for it to update on the application portal and such.

I have also received an interview from Nottingham

Also have an offer from Leicester *
One UCL application sent off - now it's a waiting game!
Original post by Anna.Karenina
One UCL application sent off - now it's a waiting game!

Wow, so early! The course I'm applying to doesn't open apps until November :frown:
Original post by ViralRiver
Wow, so early! The course I'm applying to doesn't open apps until November :frown:

I think UCL is one of the early ones!

Now sent two off and just waiting for references to be completed!
Hi! I'm currently in my third year of English and Creative Writing. I'm at a smaller uni right now, but I'd like to apply to a higher university for my postgrad. I'm thinking of doing Comparative Literature, and so far I'm really interested in:

-UCL, MA Comparative Literature
-King's College, MA Comparative Literature
-Edinburgh, MA Comparative Literature
-Oxford, MSt Modern Languages
-Cambridge, MPhil European, Latin American and Comparative Literatures and Cultures
and maybe Kent, MA Comparative Literature (Paris exchange)

I'd really love to give Oxbridge a go, but I'm a bit scared that they won't accept me because my undergraduate degree isn't the degree they ask for in the admission criteria... However I contacted both universities and they said they do consider applications from other humanity degrees too... But I guess the other students would be preferred. I think I may stand a chance even though my degree isn't what they ask for because I'm multilingual and fluent in German and French and studied the language & literature of both of those languages depth over several years in secondary school. (I'm from Luxembourg, where both of those languages are amongst the official languages). Do you think I'd stand a chance?
First reference done, now just waiting on the second! :biggrin:
Original post by Anna.Karenina
First reference done, now just waiting on the second! :biggrin:

Are you getting your referees to submit different references for each app?
Original post by ViralRiver
Are you getting your referees to submit different references for each app?

Well one of them is a Msc and the other is a MRes, and one of my references was kind enough to set up a meeting with me to discuss what I'd like him to put in his references to strengthen my application. If I was applying for two Mscs, I think it would probably be the same references, but as they're two different styles of programme, my first reference at least wrote two different references.

Also different unis may ask for different things from your references :-)
Both references finally submitted :biggrin: Here we go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending