The Student Room Group

Passed all exams highly except one - will it hurt postgrad applications?

I'm in my second year and I averaged a first in first year and a 2.1 (almost a first - 69) in second year and all my other modules have been mostly first class results apart from about 3 which have been at a 2.1 level and this one which i barely passed. Provided I keep up the standard and achieve a first or 2.1 overall, am I likely to be rejected based on this one module or be questioned about it or do you think they'll overlook it as a 'blip' in my record?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Tuvok1153
I'm in my second year and I averaged a first in first year and a 2.1 (almost a first - 69) in second year and all my other modules have been mostly first class results apart from about 3 which have been at a 2.1 level and this one which i barely passed. Provided I keep up the standard and achieve a first or 2.1 overall, am I likely to be rejected based on this one module or be questioned about it or do you think they'll overlook it as a 'blip' in my record?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry until your 3rd year too much. Although I do know you have to start applying soon. In a feild of all firsts you might find that module grades are used to differentiate candidates. But your research proposals and academic references matter just as much. As long as your topic of study isn't too linked to this module you should be fine but if you are really worried the best thing to do is ring up the unis and check!!!
Original post by Tuvok1153

Thanks

Depends what it is.

I'm starting a stats PhD so they want to see good marks in my stats modules. I did pretty badly in two modules but they were Topology and Complex Analysis which my supervisor couldn't give two figs about seeing as I have consistently high marks in stats modules.

I got interviews at Cardiff, Bristol and Sheffield (all the ones I applied to) and no one asked me about my weak modules they only cared about the Stats ones (i.e. ones relevant to the PhD topic) . However I could see it being an issue if I had bombed Statistical Modelling for example.

Quick Reply

Latest