Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron I feel is stupid yet brave to have given us citizens this referendum, I don't understand. The European Union affects Britain socially, and economically - it deals with issues such as trade, immigration etc. This is a decision our prime minister should be making. I'm not saying we, Britons, are stupid but not all of us are educated in politics, not all of us are seeing the bigger picture. We only see one side of the issue and that is immigration, and I think Eurosceptics only see that issue too. What's going to happen to the pound? EXACTLY - he should have made this decision himself! Sorry I felt as if I should have said that, and I don't mean to "bully" David Cameron in such way, as I think he has been an amazing prime minister since the Gordon Brown crisis, and many people are glad to have had him lead such a country. I admire his bravery in giving us this referendum but with such a topic where the country's economy is at stake regards much higher thinking that I feel he should have made. And now there's this topic of Britain lacking independence because its under EU control. This doesn't affect us at all. The EU controls our economy - jobs, trade etc. it's a helping hand to our country. I have heard people saying immigrants are here! They're like pests spreading everywhere, taking our jobs blah blah blah....Please before you make such comments, I suggest you go try and find a job first. Going back to my previous points, I hope nobody gets the idea of not giving us a referendum a lack of democracy , but the big question he (David Cameron) should have considered is: Is Britain weak or stronger out of the EU? He should focus more on what the youth want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrettyGirlx)
    David Cameron I feel is stupid yet brave to have given us citizens this referendum, I don't understand. The European Union affects Britain socially, and economically - it deals with issues such as trade, immigration etc. This is a decision our prime minister should be making. I'm not saying we, Britons, are stupid but not all of us are educated in politics, not all of us are seeing the bigger picture. We only see one side of the issue and that is immigration, and I think Eurosceptics only see that issue too. What's going to happen to the pound? EXACTLY - he should have made this decision himself! Sorry I felt as if I should have said that, and I don't mean to "bully" David Cameron in such way, as I think he has been an amazing prime minister since the Gordon Brown crisis, and many people are glad to have had him lead such a country. I admire his bravery in giving us this referendum but with such a topic where the country's economy is at stake regards much higher thinking that I feel he should have made. And now there's this topic of Britain lacking independence because its under EU control. This doesn't affect us at all. The EU controls our economy - jobs, trade etc. it's a helping hand to our country. I have heard people saying immigrants are here! They're like pests spreading everywhere, taking our jobs blah blah blah....Please before you make such comments, I suggest you go try and find a job first. Going back to my previous points, I hope nobody gets the idea of not giving us a referendum a lack of democracy , but the big question he (David Cameron) should have considered is: Is Britain weak or stronger out of the EU? He should focus more on what the youth want.
    This is the same exact thing I don't understand...Why did he have to give people a choice to vote Leave or remain if he wanted us to remain? I think he didn't think that people would actually vote Leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't we be given this choice? it is obvious now that at least 52% of the population of voters here in the UK wanted to leave!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iknowbest)
    Why shouldn't we be given this choice? it is obvious now that at least 52% of the population of voters here in the UK wanted to leave!
    Yes. And how many of these 52% of voters are educated in politics? Do they really know the major role that the EU plays? Or is it just "I don't want immigrants in my country!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    This is the same exact thing I don't understand...Why did he have to give people a choice to vote Leave or remain if he wanted us to remain? I think he didn't think that people would actually vote Leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe he knew that the EU was a problem to half of the population as Eurosceptics are best found in Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    Because what I'm now going to pretentiously call the Cameron Doctrine was that you deal with issues head-on in a reasonably fair way and hope that sorts out long-standing problems. He did this with the Scottish referendum in 2014 too - allowing it on very light conditions that guaranteed a low level of fairness in the vote and very little else.

It is brave and in many ways admirable, but it shows a little bit of naivety about the much-talked-about British sense of fair play. Losers don't accept the results of close referendums, people don't actually much enjoy the experience once they're within it and it gives a platform to some rather ridiculous views. People also inevitably turn them into a mini-election on their view of the government or the wider establishment.

Don't forget though that this wasn't just a decision he made one day. The British position on Europe has been a long-running sore and the potential rise of UKIP has been a significant political problem for mainstream parties. If he thought the referendum pledge would kill them off though he was wrong, just as he'd have been wrong if he thought a referendum in Scotland would kill off the SNP.

My problem is that no-one is really taking ownership of the thing now. Our political environment is ripe for UKIP to craft a betrayal narrative in relation to our final settlement with the EU - and exploit that for votes. Competently led, they could really do well at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrettyGirlx)
    Yes. And how many of these 52% of voters are educated in politics? Do they really know the major role that the EU plays? Or is it just "I don't want immigrants in my country!"
    Educated in Politics? So on that basis, a person needs to be educated by another person, in order to make a decision on how Politics affects them? Who says the person teaching this other person has any more chance of getting things right? 52% of the population felt that the EU was not good based on what "educated" politicians told them? NOPE.. they see the problems with their own eyes and they feel the problems financially..or see their friends and family directly affected by how these "educated" politicians are running the Country, and how un-elected "educated" politicians in the EU are not beneficial to there lives.

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.