Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

A relative is getting married soon, first they'll have a civil wedding at a court and later on a proper wedding with celebrations. I need suggestions on what type of gifts to get them. They made it clear that they don't want big bulky boxed presents.

What do I gift them for the civil wedding? And what do I gift them for the main wedding?

Thanks

If it helps it is an Indian wedding, but all suggestions are welcome!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SunTiger)
    Hi

A relative is getting married soon, first they'll have a civil wedding at a court and later on a proper wedding with celebrations. I need suggestions on what type of gifts to get them. They made it clear that they don't want big bulky boxed presents.

What do I gift them for the civil wedding? And what do I gift them for the main wedding?

Thanks

If it helps it is an Indian wedding, but all suggestions are welcome!
    Are you actually expected to get them 2 gifts? That seems very strange to me. I'd say if you know them well get the something they would enjoy. Couples experiences are probably nicer than am item most of the time so something like a hot air balloon ride could be nice? If not napkin rings are a common wedding gift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Are you actually expected to get them 2 gifts? That seems very strange to me. I'd say if you know them well get the something they would enjoy. Couples experiences are probably nicer than am item most of the time so something like a hot air balloon ride could be nice? If not napkin rings are a common wedding gift.
    I was thinking two gifts but am not sure tbh, that is why I asked, if that is not the norm then I probably will just give one gift then. I am thinking flowers and a card for the civil and something more expensive for the main, maybe vouchers, electronic items (e.g. tablet) etc... Not sure though... :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I was thinking two gifts but am not sure tbh, that is why I asked, if that is not the norm then I probably will just give one gift then. I am thinking flowers and a card for the civil and something more expensive for the main, maybe vouchers, electronic items (e.g. tablet) etc... Not sure though... :confused:
    im not Indian but generally that isn't the norm from my wedding experience. Although flowers for the civil wedding and something else for the main one wouldn't be weird either.
    I'm not sure about a tablet simply because when I think about wedding gifts generally I think of something for the both of them but obviously a tablet will end up belonging to just one of them most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    im not Indian but generally that isn't the norm from my wedding experience. Although flowers for the civil wedding and something else for the main one wouldn't be weird either.
    I'm not sure about a tablet simply because when I think about wedding gifts generally I think of something for the both of them but obviously a tablet will end up belonging to just one of them most of the time.
    Hahaha I get what you mean, that would be odd. So what your saying is a nice activity that they can do together. I will have a look into this...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Hahaha I get what you mean, that would be odd. So what your saying is a nice activity that they can do together. I will have a look into this...
    I think an activity is probably a nice gift if you know that they will both like it. I hope you fine something great and enjoy the wedding!!!

ReputationRep:
    What has the fact it is a civil wedding got to do anything? Would you have bought them a bible had they got married in a church? Usually couples post a wedding list which makes things easier. Failing that, what are they into? Are they foody types? If so, a nice hamper or wine might be nice. Or wine glasses, or gardening stuff. Anything really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.